Thread: 8.10 Upgrade to 9.10 - dual monitor won't work

Beans

8.10 Upgrade to 9.10 - dual monitor won't work

I have a Intel DQ35JOE motherboard with integrated video (DVI and VGA). I've been running Ubuntu 8.10 for at least a year with both monitors working fine. One is a Hanns-G 27.5 inch, the other (VGA) is an older AOC 19". They were both plugged into the motherboard video plugs (it had both), and they worked side-by-side (not mirrored) just fine on 8.10.

Last night I decided to go ahead and take the plunge and upgrade to the latest, because I run 9.10 on my laptop and love a lot of the new stuff. The reason I hadn't upgraded was because I feared the potential problems - which I ran into head-on this time.

Upgrade to 9.04 seemed to go fine. Then I immediately did the upgrade to 9.10. Unfortunately, my screens came up upside down and backwards. And the mouse moved the wrong way. And to click on something in the top left of the screen, I had to have my mouse on the bottom right of the screen.

Well, I also received a warning that my primary hard disk was failing. So, I decided to just do a clean install of 9.10 on a new disk that I had handy - hoping it would be better if it was a clean install rather than an upgrade.

Now I can't get dual monitor to work at all, and Ubuntu seems to not recognize my monitors. If I just plug one monitor in, it works. But it won't let me adjust resolution above 1280x1024 (my big one is 1920x1200). And it says "unknown" instead of identifying the monitor.

Also - at one point both monitors were appearing (but "unknown"), but mirrored, and whenever I uncheck "mirror screens" and click apply, the screen just goes black with a frozen cursor - and I can't even do CTRL-ALT-F6 to get to a terminal - it just freezes the whole computer.

I also tried throwing an NVidia GF FX 5200 / 64bit 128MB PCI card in that I had laying around. Unfortunately, it had similar results. And I couldn't plug one into it and one into the other. I don't mind putting it in - if I can just get dual monitor working again.

I'm sure I just need to install some driver and maybe reconfigure something, but I don't know what to install or configure. Can you help?

Here's a link to my motherboard, with the built-in video:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=WEBLET03ORDER

Here's a link to one of my monitors:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-026-_-Product

Please help! I need to get back to money-making work rather than fixing video configuration... THANKS!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: 8.10 Upgrade to 9.10 - dual monitor won't work

I see some threads about issues with the intel x3100 driver and karmic - see if this one helps:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307001

Beans

Re: 8.10 Upgrade to 9.10 - dual monitor won't work

Just a note - this isn't a Compiz "effects" problem. It's a problem that I can't get the card to output to both displays (VGA / HDMI) at the same time. Any ideas?