Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: iPad - Megathread incoming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: iPad - Megathread incoming

The iPad looks like it'd be awesome for little kids with learning apps and fun games for them..

I can also see how it'd be very useful for textbooks. Man. I wish I had had something like this when I was in college instead of lugging 500lbs of books with me. (The Kindle & Nook are nice, but I much prefer to have color instead of just B&W)

I'd get something similar--just not from Apple--and not for a few years (I'm set with my desktops, laptop & Nexus One). I do hope some other companies are taking notes and in a few years will have a good product to compete with this (and have a catchier name...)

ETA:

I was sent this video from MadTV about the iPad from a few years ago.Thought I'd share :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BUH9eXy18
    Last edited by Sunflower1970; January 27th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this video yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA
    Ubuntu User #27453 | Linux User #490358
    "Don't preach Linux, mention it"
    "Linux is not Windows"
    73% of statistics in forums are made up on the spot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower1970 View Post
    I can also see how it'd be very useful for textbooks.
    This is a little more textbooky, it looks good, but i wish i knew the price. I still don't think i need one though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by joebanjo View Post
    This is a little more textbooky, it looks good, but i wish i knew the price. I still don't think i need one though
    Ooo! I had not seen that before. I like.
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower1970 View Post
    The iPad looks like it'd be awesome for little kids with learning apps and fun games for them..

I can also see how it'd be very useful for textbooks. Man. I wish I had had something like this when I was in college instead of lugging 500lbs of books with me. (The Kindle & Nook are nice, but I much prefer to have color instead of just B&W)

I'd get something similar--just not from Apple--and not for a few years (I'm set with my desktops, laptop & Nexus One). I do hope some other companies are taking notes and in a few years will have a good product to compete with this (and have a catchier name...)

ETA:

I was sent this video from MadTV about the iPad from a few years ago.Thought I'd share :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BUH9eXy18

The textbook thing would be great, except that it's not entirely realistic at this point. My first hand experience is that at my school we are actively discouraged from buying our books anywhere but from the campus bookstore run by Follet. While I know there's a school in Missouri (NW MO State I think) that has started offering ebook versions of just about all textbooks, there's going to be some backlash from universities that make a killing on books against students adopting this type of technology.
    Currently Reading:

The Israel Lobby and American Foreign Policy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There was so much hype in the months leading up to the announcement that there was no way the iPad (ugh, hate the name) could have lived up to it.

But this is honestly the only Apple product in a long time that I've been tempted to buy.

My main issue is this: is it a standalone device? In other words, one of things that really turned me off from getting an iPod Touch or iPhone is its dependence on having another computer with iTunes on it. But if the iTunes App Store and iBooks store are integrated into the device itself (and I don't have to "sync" it with a real computer), then maybe I will get this. (No iTunes for Linux.)

For the iPod Touch and iPhone, I found the whole multi-touch thing overrated. For a screen of this size, though, to navigate and manipulate things, finger swiping and multi-touch may actually come in handy.

I had high hopes for the Nook, but every review of it (including videos) revealed it to be sluggish and unresponsive.

Even in debates about Android v. iPhone, I hear multi-tasking brought up a lot. I like multi-tasking, but responsiveness is more important.

We'll see. I rarely get first-generation products...

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlonsm View Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned this video yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA
    That's because it's stupid.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    stuff
    It is not a standalone device from what I've read on the 'net. You will still need iTunes.

Beans

The iPad. Sounds like some teenage wuss tactics to pad stats in online games. I can tell you right now. I'm not getting one! Apple THIS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

first up, no multitasking, biggest dampener! next, 64GB isnt enough! and this is supposed to be a netbook replacement?

okay, but looks seriously awesome. but not much material packed into it i'm afraid. but this is for sure, the amazon kindle is dead now.

Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast