Thread: Question When Working With Both a Mac & Ubuntu

Beans

Question When Working With Both a Mac & Ubuntu

Hi All,

I'm currently using Ubuntu in the office and I love the stability and reliability it gives.

Recently, I was given a MacBook Pro as a gift and I was working on trying to move some of my personal stuff from the work computer into the MBP.

Since I can't take the office unit out of the office, I was thinking of using my MBP for outside of the office stuff. Is there a way for me to make a copy of the existing email in my evolution and put it in my MBP's Mail app? I can set up the POP stuff easily so I can download the latest messages with both units, it's just that I need copies of the messages already in my office unit's evolution so I can still access them on my MBP via the Mail app when in the field.

Also, will the native format on OpenOffice work with iWork? Gotta find the middle ground so that I can use the file on both units.

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from y'all soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Question When Working With Both a Mac & Ubuntu

Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans

Thanks linuxopjemac.

Reading through it now.

Hopefully, this will cure all my woes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: Question When Working With Both a Mac & Ubuntu

I'm really not sure about transfering email between 2 different email apps. As for documents, OpenOffice.org is available for Mac OS X so you shouldn't have any issues moving documents between the 2 computers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by randytan View Post
    Hi All,

I'm currently using Ubuntu in the office and I love the stability and reliability it gives.

Recently, I was given a MacBook Pro as a gift and I was working on trying to move some of my personal stuff from the work computer into the MBP.

Since I can't take the office unit out of the office, I was thinking of using my MBP for outside of the office stuff. Is there a way for me to make a copy of the existing email in my evolution and put it in my MBP's Mail app? I can set up the POP stuff easily so I can download the latest messages with both units, it's just that I need copies of the messages already in my office unit's evolution so I can still access them on my MBP via the Mail app when in the field.

Also, will the native format on OpenOffice work with iWork? Gotta find the middle ground so that I can use the file on both units.

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from y'all soon.
    I don't know how your mbp email app works.

But openoffice will not only save in its native format, it will also save as rtf and doc, which are pretty universally recognized, making it easy to go back and forth.

Beans

Just to update this, I have successfully transferred my inbox and sent files from my work computer.

Thanks!

Am already considering OpenOffice for Mac but my unit's got iWork so I'll try using that and only revert to OpenOffice when things don't work with iWork.

I appreciate all the assistance.