Thread: Windows Install .EXE Viewer?

Beans

Thumbs down Windows Install .EXE Viewer?

I'll try not to be too cryptic but I am trying to figure out how to get this back, I don't trust some of them there .Exe's on the inter-web's tubes...

So humor aside, a little while back while I was testing out the different flavors of linux before finally coming to Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic. For a prolonged period I was using Fedora 10. One of the really cool features of F10, was that Windows install .exes(zipped exe or Install-shield) would open up natively through the Nautilus browser into a Winrar or Ark type folder view so you could examine every file if you wanted...

I don't know whether or not this is a native feature of Fedora's Nautilus browser or if I installed a yum(apt-get) package that added this functionality.

I have browsed the forums and Google to see if I could figure it out myself but alas.... no joy. So I am turning to the underground.

Does anyone know how I can add this to Ubuntu in any way shape or form? This is pretty much the only feature I am looking for.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Windows Install .EXE Viewer?

Search synaptic for 7zip.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HI

Nautilus is the default file manager in Ubuntu. I don't know if you can use the Gnome file manager in a KDE install(Kubuntu). I recommend keeping app's in the correct operating system.

Sharky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You might be able to right-click on the program and choose "Open in Archive Mounter". But I didn't know Fedora could do this automatically. You might need the "cabextract" package too.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Windows Install .EXE Viewer?

In Kubuntu the file viewer I use is Dolphin.

Doesn't open with Ark archiver....

No Luck with 7zip...

cabextract doesn't help with the exes....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by clhsharky View Post
    HI

Nautilus is the default file manager in Ubuntu. I don't know if you can use the Gnome file manager in a KDE install(Kubuntu). I recommend keeping app's in the correct operating system.

Sharky
    There is no problem running Nautilus in Kubuntu. (Other than using Nautilus )
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog