Thread: Anyone out there use old standalone PDA's? A new project could be coming....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Anyone out there use old standalone PDA's? A new project could be coming....

Despite the rise in smartphone useage and the seeming death of the standalone PDA, I know that there are still quite a few users of them (as well as the devices on sale) out there. And after seeing projects like this and this, I was thinking that we could centralise all these projects and make it one big project to get old PDA's a new breath of life with modern OS's. I was thinking something along the lines of starting a new project to get Android onto some of these devices and make new and modern OS's for devices that don't work with Android. Now I don't know programming, but I do have one thing I can help with: funding.

Of course, I can't begin to do that unless there are quite a few people out there that still have these devices, because I know it is going to take up a massive amount of my time and effort to get the centralisation effort underway, and it definitely won't be easy. The reason I am so wary is because of this (last update was in 2006, which was AGES ago) and this (not quite sure whether any progress is being made since 5-6 months ago). What I'm trying to say is, I don't want the whole project to flop and fall to its feet. But maybe that's just me being afraid for me to fail, seeing that this will be a major first for me in terms of major projects

So my question to you all: Are you a user of a standalone PDA, and if so, would you like to see Google Android/a much more modern OS for your PDA?

What I mean by an standalone is something like HP iPAQ 212/213/214, Palm T|X, Palm E2, Acer N311, Dell Axim x51v etc
    Last edited by Vignesh S; January 27th, 2010 at 06:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Anyone out there use old standalone PDA's? A new project could be coming....

i do have a Magician (qtec s100, mda mini etc), i am willing to try a new os and i am following relevant posts in xda-developers. But i have NO programming skills at all and no time to learn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Anyone out there use old standalone PDA's? A new project could be coming....

I'm somewhat interested as well, but probably don't have the time to investigate very much
    I am currently unable to come up with a witty statement to put in my signature. Please check back later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Perhaps this project might interest you:

http://axdroid.blogspot.com/

The main man that was developing the port left the project though...In any case, if you want to work in porting android, the android-porting google group will probably be useful to you:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-porting?pli=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't have any programming skills, but as I said, I can assist in funding. Of course, it is only a thought occurring to me seeing that I'm going to get the Dell Axim x51v, and yes, I was very much aware of Google Android running on it . I feel that efforts to get old PDA's working great again are very scattered and in a few of them, not much activity is going on (i.e. Psion 5mx running linux) and I feel that by joining it all together with various subsections we can get a lot more done.

At the very least, there should be a site tracking the progress of getting Google Android/new OS's working on certain PDA's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have an iPaq h5550 with built in wifi and was searching to see if I could get some kind of Ubuntu on to it
    I've seen the light, I've come over to the dark side.....

Beans

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to cast my vote in favor of this project and ask how / if it's going.
    I have two Dell Axim X5 PDAs, one that I use alot (400mhz) and one to try out new software on(300mhz). Both run WM2003 and have Spectrum 24 CF WiFi cards.

I have a "Powered by Ubuntu" sticker on the back of my 400Mhz X5, but had always considered it wishful thinking... X5s are going for $5.oo and up on ebay, if someone could port some vs of Linux for the X5 (or X3/30/50/51 ect) it'd be a cheep easy way to have some fun!