Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Wireless STA driver (wl) Ubuntu 9.10/10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Broadcom Wireless STA driver (wl) Ubuntu 9.10/10.04

Cthulhu_Dreams,
    Perhaps you could try the solution I wrote in post #39. It requires no compiling.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sepero View Post
    Cthulhu_Dreams,
    Perhaps you could try the solution I wrote in post #39. It requires no compiling.
    Excellent job sir. Spent too much time researching this ridiculous broadcom-typical nonsense until I found your fix. thanks again.

Beans

I don't know what the hell is going on anymore.

I was trying different things, some how my wireless started working. However now whenever I press the physical button on my computer that turns wireless on and off, my computer freezes. Wireless networks have stopped showing up and my computer has these weird pauses....like when I was writing this post the letters wouldn't show up for a few seconds, appear, then everything would type normal until it happened again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cthulhu_Dreams,
    It sounds like you may now require a complete reinstall. It is very valuable to keep your /home on a separate partition than the installed system. I'm sorry I cannot help you more.

Beans

Hey thanks for the how to, but I'm lost at step 3

1. Download the Broadcom drivers: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
    2. Unpack and modify the ‘src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c‘:
    Line 35 (after #include <linux/etherdevice.h>) add:

#include < linux/sched.h >

3. Compile the code with: make
    4. Copy the new driver: sudo mv wl.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    5. Update dependencies: sudo depmod -a
    6. Modify the blacklist to include the ‘b43′ and ’ssb’ drivers /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (Add below the bcm43xx blacklist)

I get: make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Any more detailed help? Vancouver ?

Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Jessimo,

Beans

Angry Re: Broadcom Wireless STA driver (wl) Ubuntu 9.10/10.04

EMERGENCY: I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my bosses computer (Acer Aspire 3000) and I cannot get it to connect to our wireless network. I have read and re-read the postings here on what to do and I am at a complete loss. Please, Please give me step by step details on how to install these drivers/fix this problem. I use Ubuntu 10.04 at home and it works great and I am trying to learn more, but I have never ran into a problem like this before. I have know idea how to configure Linux stuff, I am a reforming PC guy who wasn't very good at that...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This thread is about the problem caused by upgrading the system. In an emergency case, you can just reinstall the system from LiveCD and then don't upgrade the system.

I posted simple instructions for how to fix this upgrade issue without having to compile sources in post #39.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=39

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dnaand View Post
    Hi all,

My wireless stopped working following a kernel update to 2.6.31-20-generic-pae. Trying to activate the driver via the usual System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers -> enable the Broadcom STA proprietary wireless driver route failed for me - an error message told me to check the /var/log/jockey.log for additional information.

When I did I saw the message below:

2010-03-07 19:26:12,459 WARNING: modinfo for module wl failed: ERROR: modinfo: could not find module wl

2010-03-07 19:26:12,459 WARNING: /sys/module/wl/drivers does not exist, cannot rebind wl driver

The solution to this for me was simply to install the kernel headers for the newly installed kernel.

$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

DKMS then does the rest for you building and compiling the wireless drivers for the newly installed kernel as part of the post install configuration process. Once complete my wireless was working again - without the need to grab and build the source from Broadcom... Clearly DKMS does this for you but only _ONCE_ you have manually installed the kernel headers.

NOTE: I had wireless working with this system prior to the kernel upgrade... If you did not, and get the errors I did when trying to activate the driver through the System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers route, try installing the kernel headers first and then retry activating the driver.

Hope that helps someone out!

Thanks a ton that worked for me. I too saw the log file but didn't know exactly where it was going wrong!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinepill View Post

Go into synaptic and...

completely remove bcmwl-kernel-source AND dkms

then, whilst still in synaptic

install bcmwl-kernel-source
    It worked for me, thanks !

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast