Thread: Upgrading Ubuntu 12.10 -> 13.04. Advice request.

Beans

Question Upgrading Ubuntu 12.10 -> 13.04. Advice request.

I note the info posted on my "upgrader" :

Welcome to Ubuntu 13.04 'Raring Ringtail'

The Ubuntu team is proud to announce Ubuntu 13.04 'Raring Ringtail'.

and would welcome "belt and braces" advice on how to undertake the upgrade.

Since I am new to Ubuntu and my network-access is temperamental, I would prefer to burn a DVD and then use it for the upgarde.

I am especially keen to hold on to the installed Ubuntu 12.10 (which works perfectly and does all that I need) until I am reasonably certain that the "upgrade" has worked.

If relevant documentation exists, please point me to it.

Thank you

felkar

Beans

Re: Upgrading Ubuntu 12.10 -> 13.04. Advice request.

Yeah, if I were you I would wait a while! I installed 13.04, and now have a lot of difficulties. Maybe a clean new install is best! Just save all your data, then put it back into Ubuntu after doing a new install. I have never successfully upgraded!

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

13.04 will be supported till Jan 2014 and 12.10 will be supported till April 2014. If you got it working perfect, why bother? 12.10 will outlive 13o4.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have had plenty of successful upgrades. 12.10 gave me plenty of errors and was not a good release for me. I upgraded successfully. No grand new features but overall a better release.

I am not sure if upgrading through a dvd is an option. You could try to enable it as a source in software sources, but I have no clue how that works out.

Especially when you have your /home on a separate partition upgrading is an easy and safe thing to do. With a separate /home you can install from scratch (if upgrade fails) and keep all your settings and data.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Upgrading Ubuntu 12.10 -> 13.04. Advice request.

Quote Originally Posted by felkar View Post
    I note the info posted on my "upgrader" :

Welcome to Ubuntu 13.04 'Raring Ringtail'

The Ubuntu team is proud to announce Ubuntu 13.04 'Raring Ringtail'.

and would welcome "belt and braces" advice on how to undertake the upgrade.

felkar
    My newness to "Ubuntu" and to "Ubuntu Forums" shows!!

For reasons beyond my understanding, my initial posting (partly quoted above) scored 2 separate entries and 2 separate threads.

And I can no longer find the routine (used successfully in posts that I sent previously), that will mark these threads as "solved".

So I hasten to repeat my thanks to all respondents, who were good enough to share their experience and notify that - given my lack of upgrade expertise - I have opted for the advice to await the next long-term release of Ubuntu and then do a "new install".

felkar