Thread: Hi....new user here

Beans

Hi....new user here

Hi ....just thought I would take the time to introduce myself as I am new to this group. I am 48 and have been working in a linux environment for about 3 years now. Ok I mean playing in a Linux environment. I started with Suse and switched to Ubuntu about a year or so ago. So I guess you could say I am still exploring. I will soon be setting up a server here and I plan on using Ubuntu just for the sake of getting the experience. My backgorund is Electrical Engineering and Embedded Programing / Systems Development with regards to Industrial Machinery and Automation. Mostlyt programming in assembly languages and C. I was doing it for 20 years or so. In 2005, I got placed on disability due to a hip condition and in 2008 decided to go back to school to change my specialty to biomedical equipment development. I am concentrating on Computer Science this time. It is less pyhsically demanding as the equipment parts are more lightweight and there is less climbing involved. So just saying hi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Hi....new user here

Well hello! You'll find quite a lot of C and assembler tools a couple of package installs away in Ubuntu. My wife's going to Towson for Computer Science and apart from the proprietary servers they like to run over there she's had no issues finding good quality tools to use.

I've played with a server myself but I lost a lot of time due to commuting. The storm has given me some time because I can telecommute.