Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Monitors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Multiple Monitors

It's weird. It shows both cards in the output, but in KDE it shows only one in the gui tool, even tho the monitors are connected to two completely different cards.
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans
    Distro

Update: I tried installing the AMD released drivers from their site. This is the result of their installer:

Code:
    ==================================================
     ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 
    ==================================================

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
    default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.31-17-generic; make sure that the version is being
    correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.RYUbee
    Also, when I launch the ATI control center I installed from the software center, it says No ati driver found.
    Last edited by CrusaderAD; January 26th, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans
    Distro

Does anyone know what Kubuntu uses to configure the monitors? I don't see xorg anymore.

Beans

did you try searching the forums?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221174

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply. They keep referring to /etc/X11/xorg.conf... which doesn't exist on my system Kubuntu 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

On my system with the ATI card I installed the proprietary fglrx driver and the amd control center and used that. That sets it up in Xorg.conf (which it creates, it's no longer used for a default setup). Once that's done the KDE control module sees it too, but that's not terribly useful at that point.

If you just install fglrx via apt-get, and not the restricted drivers manager, you have to run something like
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    to create xorg.conf and restart.
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog

Beans
    Distro

I installed the driver with the fglrx package and attempted to run
    Code:
    aticonfig --initial
    This said no supported display adapters detected. Now Kwin crashes when I boot up! I did some looking around and it looks like ati drivers cause the kwin crash. I can't get into anything. Do I have to reinstall?

Beans
    Distro

I got back to my original configuration. Whew. Still can't get dual monitors working.

Beans
    Distro

Here's a screenshot of the settings in the Multiple Monitors tab. I'm using the ati x1550 radeon. I have this driver install by default for some reason:

xserver-xorg-video-intel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CrusaderAD; January 28th, 2010 at 03:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is nothing wrong with KDE in your screenshot, the feature you're looking for will be added in KDE 4.4 so there's nothing there in KDE 4.3.4 and before.

Fglrx doesn't work because your card is probably not supported by ATI anymore.

Basically what you need to do is:
    1. Generate an xorg.conf file.
    2. Edit it to match your system.
    3. Tell X to use two screens.

It's not difficult but it's a lot of typing and since you last posted 2 days ago you might have found the solution yourself. If not, reply here and I'll tell you what you need to do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast