Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I helped a Best Buy customer!

Beans

I helped a Best Buy customer!

My wife and I went to Best Buy the other day, she was looking a cd and a movie, while I came along to play w/ the displays...

They happened to have the same printer I have been considering buy (hp 6500 wireless) on display and powered up- so I played w/ it a bit, confirmed how easy it was to connect it to a wireless network (takes like 2mins) by connecting it to the Best Buy wifi (unsecured....) network...

A little while later, after my wife found what she was looking for I dragged her over to see the printer, and as we were walking away another couple came up looking at the same printer, and with them was as Best Buy rep... First thing, the Best Buy rep told them that they needed a USB cable connected to a computer in order to set it up on the wifi. And 2nd, there were signs next to the printer stating that it did not come w/ a usb cable- $40-ish in addition to the $150 for the printer... My wife overeard and told me to go talk to them, so I did. I demostrated how to get to the wifi connection wizard, and they were all happy- including the best buy rep...

The next day I went and bought the printer from Costco for $10 less, and when I opened the box up, lo and behold, it came w/ a usb cable in the box.

BM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: I helped a Best Buy customer!

Quote Originally Posted by blur xc View Post
    My wife and I went to Best Buy the other day, she was looking a cd and a movie, while I came along to play w/ the displays...

They happened to have the same printer I have been considering buy (hp 6500 wireless) on display and powered up- so I played w/ it a bit, confirmed how easy it was to connect it to a wireless network (takes like 2mins) by connecting it to the Best Buy wifi (unsecured....) network...

A little while later, after my wife found what she was looking for I dragged her over to see the printer, and as we were walking away another couple came up looking at the same printer, and with them was as Best Buy rep... First thing, the Best Buy rep told them that they needed a USB cable connected to a computer in order to set it up on the wifi. And 2nd, there were signs next to the printer stating that it did not come w/ a usb cable- $40-ish in addition to the $150 for the printer... My wife overeard and told me to go talk to them, so I did. I demostrated how to get to the wifi connection wizard, and they were all happy- including the best buy rep...

The next day I went and bought the printer from Costco for $10 less, and when I opened the box up, lo and behold, it came w/ a usb cable in the box.

BM
    I "Lol'd"

Beans

Seriously, though...if the guy had bought the printer and a USB cable to go with it, then if he opened the USB cable prior to opening the printer box...that's his own dang fault.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just looked up that printer seems nice, does it work completly in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Hehe, A Printer with a USB cable INCLUDED that is rare these days that's for sure and I'm not joking, I mean it. The last through Printers I bought for customers needed separate USB Cables.

HPs generally work flawlessly with Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by Techsnap View Post
    Hehe, A Printer with a USB cable INCLUDED that is rare these days that's for sure and I'm not joking, I mean it. The last through Printers I bought for customers needed separate USB Cables.
    Yep, the last printer I got did not come with a USB cable. I had a few extra sitting around though
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    So far so good- but I haven't got it to scan wirelessly though. Still working on that one...

But seriously, setting this printer up in ubuntu is a snap. You can save your hp disks for any windows or mac computers you may encounter, or just use them as coasters.

Once it's all out of the box, turned on and done with its self tests (that can take a bit), getting it on your wifi takes well udner two minutes, and then adding the pritner to ubuntu takes maybe another minute and away you go...

BM

Beans

$40 for a usb cable? Most I would pay is a couple bucks they're plentiful and cheap.

Seems like every time I go to Best Buy I end up helping someone. Yet I'm always asking the questions that no one has the answers to like what chipset does that something have, generally things they don't put on boxes or things I'm looking for that no one seems to carry.

Problem I have with a HP OfficeJet 6400 is that if you refill the ink the stupid ink level indication part of the firmware keeps saying it's low. It doesn't actually know the level of ink and it keeps track of the cartridges you've already used so even swapping between them when refilling them doesn't help.

I want a printer that works well and has refillable cartridges that you can refill (either transparent or translucent) so you can actually see the level or that actually reads the ink levels.

But you did your good deed for the day.
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Techsnap View Post
    HPs generally work flawlessly with Linux.
    Correction, some HP printers work flawlessly with Linux. Others are pure crap unless you only wanted 600 dpi black and white.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast