Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother HL-2170W on Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop - Installation

Beans

Brother HL-2170W on Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop - Installation

Hi All,
    Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to install Brother HL-2170W wireless printer on Ubuntu 9.10 Destop.
    Much Appreciated,
    Dino

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Brother HL-2170W on Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop - Installation

Are you trying to install it wirelessly or through the usb port? Either way, you can do it by going to System --> Administration --> Printing. Then click on the "New" button (or you can use the menu option Server --> New --> Printer). Ubuntu will search your system for available printers. If you have the HL-2170W connected through the usb port, then you should see it listed under devices. If you click on it, it should say in the Description: "A printer connected to a USB port." If you want to connect to the HL-2170W wirelessly, then click on the "Network Printer" button. It should just show up (mine does). Either way, click to select and then click "Forward". The program will then take you through the process of loading the appropriate drivers for it (there are several options, but simply sticking to the recommended one should be fine). Once that process is finished, you should be ready to go!
    Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 6 x 2GB Mushkin Redline 1600 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | 6 x 1TB WD Caviar Black | Mint 15 Cinnamon / OS X 10.7.3
    Portable: Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Beans

I am trying to install it wirelessly. I tried to select Network Printer -> Find Network Printer (as well as the other buttons) but it would not find my printer. However, I found a useful HOWTO here to install lpd and cups drivers and I did it and my printer got added but it is added as Device URI=usb:/dev/usb/lp0. I believe this is the problem since my printer is not connected through a wire. So, how do I fix this?
    Much appreciated
    _dino_

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That printer and driver were in printer configuration in GUI with install of 9.10 a lot of Brother HL printers are there?
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Distro

Are you running Windows also, did you have to run a cat 5 from printer to router to install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have that printer. WHen hooked up with USB, it just works, however, the printer does not have a control panel built in and requires Windows or Mac based software to configure it for use with a wireless network. I used Windows XP in VirtualBox to configure it, the printer configuration in Ubuntu was able to see it on the wireless network and connected just as easily as it did via USB. Its a great printer, just sucks that you have to use windows to configure the network...
    "Despite millions of dollars of research, Death continues to be Americas number one killer."

Kingdom Computer Solutions

Beans

Nope, It is not in there, I checked that first and multiple times

Beans

HI Garvinrick4,
    I am novice to all this but to explain, ... when I installed it on windows and initially did it through the wire as the manual suggests, that is nedded to do only on initial installation even thouh you do wireless install. Then I disconnected wire and it worked fine wirelessly as well. The problem is with my Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop. There is no manual on how to install it so I followed one of HOWTOs on this site. Everthing installed just fine (lpr and cups), but the printer wont print.
    I suspect because in Printer Properties, it says that device URI is something like "usb/usr...." but the printer is not connected through usb. I dont know how to fix that though.

Beans

I am sure many have that printer and that it is great but the question is rather on how to install it.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by _dino_ View Post
    I am sure many have that printer and that it is great but the question is rather on how to install it.
    Thanks
    http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...s_network.html

Here is a link for bother printers. I believe Mydrob in earlier post is good one to
    ask if this does not work for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast