Thread: Gnome panel auto-hide problem

Beans

Exclamation Gnome panel auto-hide problem

First off, I'm using Ubuntu 9.10.
    Ok the Top panel, I right clicked and went to properties and checked "Auto-Hide" and now it's permanently hidden. and I can't get it back...

Any help would be much appreciated, thx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gnome panel auto-hide problem

Try pressing the Alt + F2 and in the run box type,

Code:
    gconf-editor
    Navigate to apps > panel > toplevels > top_panel_screen0 and uncheck the box next to auto_hide.

Does that do it ?

You might have to look at some of the other options.

If this doesn't work, you can put the panels back to default by deleting the configuration folder in /home. But doing that might be a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut

Beans

I got a similar kinda problem with my panels.

I wanted to put them both over to the left-hand side, and now they've frozen.

I can't left-click to edit properties and I can only open t'interweb by pressing F1 and getting the help thing up.

Beans

ah, yeah, that did it. thanks a lot. For a second there I though I would have to reinstall ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bennyhash View Post
    I can't left-click to edit properties and I can only open t'interweb by pressing F1 and getting the help thing up.
    Maybe this is a typo., but you need to right click to edit the panel properties.

Or to reset to default. Open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type the following command.

Code:
    rm -r ~/.gconf/apps/panel
    This will remove the configuration data for your panels, which will be rebuilt next time you log in to gnome. Log out of your session and back in.

If you can't use the menus to open your terminal, press the Alt + F2 keys together and type

Code:
    gnome-terminal
    PS. You could rename or move the folder instead of removing if you wanted to hold on to it for any reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by l3lackfable View Post
    ah, yeah, that did it. thanks a lot. For a second there I though I would have to reinstall ubuntu...
    You don't have to reinstall Ubuntu for such simple things. This is something where you don't have to be root (admin) for. And then it is very, véry unlikely that you break something that needs reinstalling (it shouldn't be possible).
    And generally, big problems are also solvable.