Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Arch] I just discoverd "packer" a much faster & more efficient yaourt replacement:

Beans

[Arch] I just discoverd "packer" a much faster & more efficient yaourt replacement:

bruenig, has been working very fast since first making his packer available to the Arch community on the 5th Jan, the speed of development is amazing, with regard to bug fixes & feature requests.

I expect that packer could end up replacing yaourt as the community favoured pacman - AUR wrapper, as it is 14 times faster & it searches properly. i.e. it has shown how bad yaourt's search results are, as well as the fact that there is a lot of very poor code in yaourt.

I have been happy using yaourt since I started with Arch, but I certainly have to wait for it to varying degrees, every time I use it.

All in all packer is very good news for Arch users.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=88115&p=1

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: [Arch] I just discoverd "packer" a much faster & more efficient yaourt replacemen

+1 for packer. Even though I prefer to manually upgrade packages from AUR and I use pacman-color for official packages, I find packer pretty neat for dealing with AUR packages.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [Arch] I just discoverd "packer" a much faster & more efficient yaourt replacemen

It's curious that a heard of packer program from a ubuntu forum and not for Arch one.

Btw, the packer it's really awesome. This kind of things do the Arch community very pleased.

Beans

The developer of packer is blowing everyone away with his focus! He has been called a coding machine.

Someone will point out a bug, or ask for a valid feature to be incorporated & in no time flat bruenig posts to do a packer -S packer, to get the new changes.

If bruenig maintains this kind of commitment to packer, it should gain a great reputation fast.

It is winning converts from yaourt very quickly as it is.

I agree, yaourt hasn't let me down either, but I do have to wait for it, & from tests shown on the packer thread, yaourt misses a lot in searches, which is the kind of problem you have, when you don't think you have a problem...

Here is one persons simple speed test results:

yaourt -Ss firefox
    real 0m8.516s
    user 0m4.516s
    sys 0m3.150s

packer -Ss firefox
    real 0m0.735s
    user 0m0.313s
    sys 0m0.220s

From the thread by bruenig:

The proper way to do this is grep $file. I have seen some very new bash coders use cat file | grep, but I have never seen someone use something as astonishingly redundant and slow as echo $(cat $file) | grep.

There are dozens of other examples like this. But the real issue is the performance such shoddy coding creates.

The command yaourt -Ss python takes 56.280 seconds to execute.

The command packer -Ss python takes 4.146 seconds to execute.

Yaourt is 13.5 times slower than packer. That is pretty serious.

Other examples abound, but that gives you a sense. Yaourt is just sloooooow.

&&

Another thing you might want to realize is that yaourt search literally does not work. As in, it does not find all of the matches it should. Try 'yaourt pacman wrapper' and then 'packer pacman wrapper' to see. Yaourt is not finding over half of the aur packages it should be. In addition to this, yaourt -Ss pacman wrapper does not even work! It seems to search for all things that match 'pacman' OR 'wrapper'! What in the hell is that.
    Last edited by handy; January 26th, 2010 at 12:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey Handy, you get a several benchmarks, you really love this package.

One question: the argument -Scc doesn't work with packer? I forget if a try it .

Beans

Code:
    time apt-cache search firefox
    <snip>
    real    0m0.704s
    user    0m0.509s
    sys     0m0.042s
    do i win something?

But seriously your benchmark seams unfair as after youaurt has been run many of the index files will be in ram so packer will need to read less data of the disk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Xbehave View Post
    Code:
    <snip>
    real    0m0.704s
    user    0m0.509s
    sys     0m0.042s
    do i win something?

But seriously your benchmark seams unfair as after youaurt has been run many of the index files will be in ram so packer will need to read less data of the disk.
    Yes, it is, but how can you flush the memory ram?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xbehave View Post
    Code:
    <snip>
    real    0m0.704s
    user    0m0.509s
    sys     0m0.042s
    do i win something?

I didn't do the test, so I can't tell you how the tester set it up.

What I do know, is that packer in my experience, without a stop watch or testing in any other way, is MUCH faster than when I use yaourt.

Which is why I'm enthusiastic.

The benchmarks & the fact that yaourt misses things in certain kinds of searching (at least) don't matter to me. The obviously speedy experience, plus the fact that the creator is very serious about making packer the best it can be has one me over.

Good stuff all-round.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n0dix View Post
    Yes, it is, but how can you flush the memory ram?
    Use up all your ram and the caches will be plushed to disk, It's not worth the effort but you should run each one atleast twice (and take the second result).

p.s from what you've said packer sounds much better, i'm just a benchmark nazi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I still have an arch box at my house, I will test it.
    .i coi rodo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast