Thread: Help me with my resume please: The Employment part

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Help me with my resume please: The Employment part

vvvvvvvv
    Last edited by Kdar; February 1st, 2010 at 01:41 AM.

Beans

Re: Help me with my resume please: The Employment part

A fellow that claimed to know made several points about what a good resume should be.

Terse. Bold. Specific, and to the point. Assertive.

Above all, he felt it can help to know if the results are going to be subject to human selection methods of picked over by a program that is used to screen candidates. He had some added instructions if scanned by a program:

Just key words and acronyms please, The program cannot really read and just looks for character groups. You get more into a given space this way.

Avoid dates. Programs look for gaps in educational and employment history, or short employment periods, and can even determine your probable age if enough dates used. It comes up blank if you avoid dates completely, but that means no neagative findings either.

No personal history at all. Programs can pick up on language choices that might mark you by race or creed, even depth of education. All you want is the professional terms that are appropriate for your field of work.

I don't know how much any of this means. I do know that the more you know about the job you are going for, the more tailored your resume should be to meeting the reqirements of that job. Better, see if you can learn something about the company you are applying to, or whom is going to be making final choice about the job and see if you can get some sort of personal contact in there to help.

It's a crap shoot anyway, so be prepared to repeat for every job opening that you become aware of. Some claim it helps, Others claim that nothing helps.

Professional resume writers make it look good, You can do as well, but you have to seriously edit your resume for appearance and content. There are books on the subject, and some word processors even come with resume templates if you look for them.

Try to think of why you would be better for this position than any of the hundreds of other applicants, then sell that point as part of your whole application process. You have to think this way:

How to use my resume to get to the interview stage.
    How to sell myself during the interview stage to live a good positive impression.
    How to follow up and make that impression stand out for later consideration in the final selection process.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help me with my resume please: The Employment part

Anyone?