Thread: Installing tar.gz files/Nokia N95

Beans

Installing tar.gz files/Nokia N95

Hi. I wonder if anyone can help.

I am a happy user of Ubuntu 9.04 and getting more used to installing programs every day. I am getting a bit more confident with terminal, and command lines etc, after many years of using windows....(never going back!)

However, I am still having a problem installing tarball files, (tar.gz) and the ONLY problem I have with Ubuntu, in that the only drawback i have had so far, is that I can't connect my Nokia N95 and use with Ubuntu. However, someone has (apparently) devised a program that works, and supposedly it is compatible and effective. See here http://bit.ly/8sjptA

But, I can't for the life of me work out how to run the program. I have extracted the tar.gz file, and tried to follow the instructions in the read me file....but nothing.

Can anyone help a newbie???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Installing tar.gz files/Nokia N95

Inside the install file was this:

Linux:
    Please install all requirements first, for example use this command in Fedora:
    # yum install python PyQt4 pybluez python-obexftp python-matplotlib

You can test the installation before you install it:
    # cd pc
    # ./series60_remote.py

If you want to install the application just run
    # ./setup.py install
    in your root directory.

This will create the folders /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/series60_remote
    and /usr/share/series60-remote and a wrapper script in /usr/bin/series60-remote
    on Linux.

If you want to change these folders you have to use the --prefix argument (for
    example: ./setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local )
    To me that means you just have to cd the terminal to that directory and run './setup.py install' and you are done. Let tme know if that works.
    "What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Beans

Hi thanks for your reply. LOL Not sure what happened whwn I did that...

This was the message in terminal:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./setup.py", line 62, in <module>
    version = __import__('pc.series60_remote').series60_remote.g et_version()
    File "/home/peter/Desktop/series60-remote-0.3.90/pc/series60_remote.py", line 14, in <module>
    import lib.device
    File "/home/peter/Desktop/series60-remote-0.3.90/pc/lib/device.py", line 7, in <module>
    import devices.series60
    File "/home/peter/Desktop/series60-remote-0.3.90/pc/devices/series60.py", line 5, in <module>
    import bluetooth
    ImportError: No module named bluetooth
    peter@peter-laptop:~/Desktop/series60-remote-0.3.90$

what next??? )

oh and thanks dude....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Whoops, "No module named bluetooth" is the error you want to solve. It looks like you are missing sole sort of bluetooth library for python...what I did is open up a terminal and:

Code:
    $ aptitude search bluetooth
    That revealed a package called 'python-bluetooth' so if I were you I would install it and try to run the setup again like follows:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-bluetooth
    ./setup.py install
    If that does not work then let me know.
    "What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Beans

well, I'm more new... Linux knowledge doesn't exactly speak for itself... how do I CD to a driectory? The tar.gz series60_remote file is on my desktop, in a tangled mess of files...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay, here is not really the right place to introduce you to the awesome power that is the terminal. You should just know that you have stumbled upon the most powerful program on your machine and, if you learn to use it properly, which should not take too long (like a few weeks). Then you will be able to do everything so much faster.

Here is an introduction: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

In the guide it explains what typing 'cd' in the terminal means; 'cd' is the terminal program for changing directory and you should read the guide to learn how to cd and more.

Once you are done look at the cool things you can do. Ask questions and walk the road to being awesome. Just so you know, every developer worth their salt (or superuser) knows how to use a terminal.

Beans
    Hidden!

the readme tells you to install dependencies first. the one suggested may be all you need in ubuntu. the readme recommends you run:
    Code:
    yum install python PyQt4 pybluez python-obexftp python-matplotlib
    if you're in fedora (fedora uses yum instead of apt-get or aptitude)

using synaptic (gui package manager), apt-get or aptitude to make sure you have those installed would be your first step. you may find that running

Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-bluetooth
    is all you need to install for the dependencies to be met, however.