Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Digital Camera

I'm thinking of getting the Canon Ixus 100IS. i heard its pretty decent and better than the others in its price category. question though, considering the fact that i wont be able to run the default canon software (which most probably runs on Windows), are there any viable alternative softwares for linux for canon cameras?

Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Digital Camera

My point and shoot is the Canon SD870 IS and I've never installed the Canon software in Windows. All I'll be doing is exporting the images to Lightroom for editing anyway. In Ubuntu it's recognized by default and I export to Gimp for light editing.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just switch the camera over to "Detect as Filesystem" or whatever the setting is in the cameras nowadays instead, because I never, ever use photo management software. Why use it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    My point and shoot is the Canon SD870 IS and I've never installed the Canon software in Windows. All I'll be doing is exporting the images to Lightroom for editing anyway. In Ubuntu it's recognized by default and I export to Gimp for light editing.
    This.

Windows is smart enough now, to recognize a digicam for what it is and ask what to do.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    I just switch the camera over to "Detect as Filesystem" or whatever the setting is in the cameras nowadays instead, because I never, ever use photo management software. Why use it?
    well allow me to giv u an example. both of the following are my pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arnab_das/4294894079/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arnab_das/4298030550/

both same pics. the last one's been modified by gimp.

Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

Beans
    Hidden!

The GIMP is not a photo management application, F-Spot is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    The GIMP is not a photo management application, F-Spot is.
    aww okay! yeah right. my bad.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arnab_das View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the Canon Ixus 100IS. i heard its pretty decent and better than the others in its price category. question though, considering the fact that i wont be able to run the default canon software (which most probably runs on Windows), are there any viable alternative softwares for linux for canon cameras?
    All cameras are pretty much of a muchness within their categories. The biggest arbiter in the image quality of a camera is the person using it. Don't pay too much attention to reviews, most are sponsored by major camera manufacturers.

You don't need the canon software to take the pictures off the camera or process them. Linux will detect the camera as a mass storage device and import through fspot or digikam or whatever you want to use to process. If push comes to shove, use an SD card reader.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

some cameras will have video features and claim to be youtube ready, be very careful in choosing a model for anything other than still shots !

some models will have excellent video quality but lack a microphone, what's a video without sound ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by inobe View Post
    some cameras will have video features and claim to be youtube ready, be very careful in choosing a model for anything other than still shots !

some models will have excellent video quality but lack a microphone, what's a video without sound ?
    goodness! i'll hav to look out for that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast