Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone here interested in PROGressive rock ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is anyone here interested in PROGressive rock ?

I've been listening rock music for all my life, but recently, since two years ago, I've been listening prog music. A year ago, I discovered great site, ProgArchives.com, which helps people like me to find other people with this unusual hobby, to talk about music etc. There are more sites, but I'm sticked to this particular one.

Talking about music, writing reviews (really, can redirect you on my profile if you want) and similar things. It's actually only forum I visit and now also this one.

My Linux journey can be seen here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389224
    if you're curious.

I'm new here, so I though I'll ask some people if they share same musical preferences. Talk about music etc. And what's PROG after all ? That's a tricky question, people mostly don't know literally. You can try wikipedia entry of progressive rock (google), or definitons on ProgArchives.com, but it's hard.

Simply definition (my definition) is that it's music similar to Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, Rush, Dream Theater etc.
    Avid progressive rock fan (check here):
    http://www.progarchives.com/Collabor...l=true#reviews

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Is anyone here interested in PROGressive rock ?

YES!!! (pun intended)

I like all those bands (I'm just getting into Dream Theater). Also, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson. And all the Krautrock bands. I could go on and on about it, if no one stopped me!

I have a hard time defining prog, though, mostly because a lot of qualities that are thought of as "prog" are also sometimes in genres that are definitely not. For example, Eddie Van Halen is probably as good or better than any prog guitarist, but Van Halen is not prog. So virtuosity alone does not mean anything. The same with extended song lengths, etc. So I tend to limit it to anything involving Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, or Bill Bruford, which actually includes about 50% of the music recorded since 1970.
    Last edited by nmccrina; January 24th, 2010 at 02:23 PM.
    One does not simply rock into Mordor.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    ...which helps people like me to find other people with this unusual hobby,
    I'm not seeing a hobby that is "unusual". Maybe you meant a different word.

Beans

King Crimson and Soft Machine are at the top of the list for me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nmccrina View Post
    YES!!! (pun intended)

I like all those bands (I'm just getting into Dream Theater). Also, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson. And all the Krautrock bands. I could go on and on about it, if no one stopped me!

I have a hard time defining prog, though, mostly because a lot of qualities that are thought of as "prog" are also sometimes in genres that are definitely not. For example, Eddie Van Halen is probably as good or better than any prog guitarist, but Van Halen is not prog. So virtuosity alone does not mean anything. The same with extended song lengths, etc. So I tend to limit it to anything involving Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, or Bill Bruford, which actually includes about 50% of the music recorded since 1970.
    I once was Travian addict (it's online text, little bit of images game) and I visited my "alliance" (like guilds in Warcraft) forum. I've had in total more than 500 posts here. After round (year long) ended, we abandoned this forum. What a waste of time. Yes, I had good memories, I had fun, but that's all. On PA, I've posted about 700 posts since March 2009 and I don't regret it at all.

Why I'm saying it - because some things are long-terms, ever-lasting, or simply worth of it. Hmmm, GA means Georgia ? One nice fact for you 44%ˇof ProgArchives are Americans. 0.01% are Czechs, so my nation is somehow in minority Like this forum, is worth of posting here. Linux is something that it's a)worth b)will last c)is a good thing.

Umm, it's getting confusing, the more I'm trying to explain it, so let me show some facts. I first used PA as source, so let me present you this:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog...umtypes=1#list
    And I think you'll find some of your most favourite albums here (haha, favourite, or favorite ... pun intended, but not prog one, unfortunately). Hey, you've made it into google top position:
    http://www.google.cz/search?client=o...utf-8&oe=utf-8 I though I'll find more prog puns, but no chance here.

MUSIC:

Strange. Maybe it's because I'm from country that was on the west of the east (communism till 1989) and that even I'm young (21), my rock liking is because of my father. And he knows mostly what he was listening when he was young. And he could listen only music that managed to get here. Mostly the bands I named.

ELP, King Crimson, VDGG, even Porcupine Tree, I never heard about them till I entered PA ranks. Now, PT's Lightbulb Sun (I know, it's more like casual rock, but still, I like it a lot ... no no, the most ), Dream Theater's Score live - the album that get me into prog rock/metal, then The Flower Kings (my avatar) ...

Krautrock, I recently found out that this name is because ... umm, saurerkraut, try wiki :- /

I know that what you or I like is personal, but some things are more common than others. For example my father likes Pink Floyd a lot, but can't stand Yes. Because of ....... can you guess the question ? I like them, but he just does not like ..... BINGO, vocals. He likes Ian Anderson on the other hand.

So, I think that you can find in this TOP 100 list at least 20 albums that you didn't know. Good for you, as you may try to look for them and acquire them, listen and enjoy them.

Whew, I have to stop with these 400 chars per minute typing, it's tiring.

Right now, listening new discovery (well, 8 months old for me) called 5bridges. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4265

I think you'll like them Genesis meets ELP they say. I say - very good one. I also reviewed them (you'll find it on the bottom of the page), but it's not one of my good reviews. I'm Marty McFly there.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    I'm not seeing a hobby that is "unusual". Maybe you meant a different word.
    Yep, you got me. You know, I can talk about a lot of things, do long paragraphs, but sometimes, this language barrier is a problem.

I meant, that majority of people are casual listeners. Do not like music which needs more demanding listener. Pop music, hip-hop, electronic like trance or techno. I've been listening some of these styles in past, when I was finding my way, but still, rock was about 50% of what I've been listening. Then it was majority. And now, 95% of music I listen is prog.

But most people do not. That's why I called it unusual. I sometimes joke about it. I have a girl, she listens the same music as I do, but who else. Not much people these days.

So unusual in meaning "With not so many listeners amongst people of my age". I am 21.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, I understand where you're coming from better. I also love prog rock, but open myself to lots of other genres as well. You've mentioned some of my favorites (Genesis, Rush, Dream Theater) but lately I've been really digging the debut album of Animals as Leaders. It's got virtuoso and prog written all over it.

Animals as Leaders - Tempting Time

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I understand where you're coming from better. I also love prog rock, but open myself to lots of other genres as well. You've mentioned some of my favorites (Genesis, Rush, Dream Theater) but lately I've been really digging the debut album of Animals as Leaders. It's got virtuoso and prog written all over it.

Sometimes it's hard. As The One from Georgia said, it's hard to define prog rock. Even when you're listening it for your whole life.

Actually, I get to the prog through wikipedias Concept Album page and from here to Dream Theater's Metropolis & Six Degrees.

I love Cygnus X-1 (wrong name, not correctly spelled, you know - it's the one about 15 minutes long)

One admin on PA has nickname rushfan4, other two has Snow Dog &*King-By-Tor I guess they like Rush too. And by the way, I too discovered Rush only by this site. I simply have no one to tell me about them. If I wouldn't be atheist, I would say God bless internet.

http://www.progarchives.com/

Do you see the genre list upwards ? In total 22, starting with Cantenbury. Including three metals:

Prog Metal (dream theater like)
    Experimental/Post metal (post metal, good term)
    Extreme/Tech metal (mostly death metal)

on respective pages are also interesting descriptions.

Will try to listen them. This is great thing about prog community. Recommendations. I love it.

Beans

I love Progressive Metal and Animals as Leaders are just absolutely amazing. Also check out Between the Buried and Me, their music is just utterly beautiful especially the song Swim to the Moon

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    I love Progressive Metal and Animals as Leaders are just absolutely amazing. Also check out Between the Buried and Me, their music is just utterly beautiful especially the song Swim to the Moon
    Oh my....that was awesome, thanks for the link!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast