Thread: resizing windows within virtualbox

Beans

resizing windows within virtualbox

Okay, I really am an absolute beginner, so I figured this would be the best place to post this. I'm running ubuntu within virtualbox for a class I'm taking.

I've successfully started up ubuntu within virtualbox, but I'm stuck on something. I took a screenshot within virtualbox, and saved the screenshot to the virtual desktop. I didn't know how to get the screenshot I'd taken within the virtual system to my real system, I figured I could email the screen shot to myself to use for the homework assignment, but when I tried to configure Evolution (the email application included with ubuntu) I found that the Evolution window is larger than the virtualbox window that contains it, and I can't figure out how to resize either. Without being able to see or access the entire Evolution window, I can't see all of the buttons in the program, which means I can't configure the program. this is something that will definitely become a problem with other applications if I don't know how to do this. I can't figure this out, can anyone help me out? I included a couple of screenshots to show you what the issue is.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to use VBox's snapshot feature. I just want to be able to resize applications, or the vbox window, so that I can access the application.

screenshots:

http://i48.tinypic.com/5o9rvr.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2j4a7x2.jpg

thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: resizing windows within virtualbox

1. Click your mouse anywhere on the Desktop in Ubuntu
    2. Press Ctrl (the one on the right of your keyboard) + F

Once again press Ctrl + F (use the Ctrl button on the right side of your keyboard)

To exit do it again.

--
    Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers do them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Install guest additions in your VirtualBox guest then you can set up a share to your host system so you can move files to and from you virtual machine.

I figured I'd point you in a direction so you can learn....if you want further info let us know

Quote Originally Posted by djs03004 View Post
    Okay, I really am an absolute beginner, so I figured this would be the best place to post this. I'm running ubuntu within virtualbox for a class I'm taking.

I've successfully started up ubuntu within virtualbox, but I'm stuck on something. I took a screenshot within virtualbox, and saved the screenshot to the virtual desktop. I didn't know how to get the screenshot I'd taken within the virtual system to my real system, I figured I could email the screen shot to myself to use for the homework assignment, but when I tried to configure Evolution (the email application included with ubuntu) I found that the Evolution window is larger than the virtualbox window that contains it, and I can't figure out how to resize either. Without being able to see or access the entire Evolution window, I can't see all of the buttons in the program, which means I can't configure the program. this is something that will definitely become a problem with other applications if I don't know how to do this. I can't figure this out, can anyone help me out? I included a couple of screenshots to show you what the issue is.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to use VBox's snapshot feature. I just want to be able to resize applications, or the vbox window, so that I can access the application.

screenshots:

http://i48.tinypic.com/5o9rvr.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2j4a7x2.jpg

thanks in advance!
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans

Hey guys, thanks very much for your help. As it turns out, when I installed virtualbox, I had set the video display driver to use only 16 mb of memory, which meant that it would only create a tiny little window.

jflaker, where can i learn more about guest additions? Right now I'm not even sure what it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

There should be an option to install guest additions under the devices menu in virtualbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by djs03004 View Post
    Right now I'm not even sure what it is.
    It's a set of drivers and tools that enhance your virtual machine. It'll give you higher screen resolution, integrate your mouse, give you a bi-directional clipboard, etc, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

middle-click and drag will resize for you

Edit: wtf? it stopped working! :/
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.