Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, I'm starting college on monday.

Beans

So, I'm starting college on monday.

at the age of 26. local community college. better late than never!

anyways, i don't have a windows or OS X install anywhere.

(i certainly don't plan on taking any computer-related courses at community, as they have no offerings that interest me. thats for later, hopefully at Berkeley if all goes well... and a quick scan of the Berkeley course offerings indicates to me that lacking windows wont be a problem while taking computer-related courses at the birthplace of BSD. )

so, how much difficulty am i going to face?

i know i will face some when doing collaborative projects - after spending a zillion dollars on MS Office, none of my soon-to-be-peers are going to like me telling them that the 'easiest' way for us to work together is either for them to use OO.o too or for both of us to use google docs...

or has OO.o progressed to the point that converting a document back and forth won't be an issue?

should i just suck it up, go buy windows, and install it in vBox?

i seek the experiences of others, so i can benefit from them. what'cha got?
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

nmaster is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: So, I'm starting college on monday.

i've never had problems using open office when others use MS Office.

btw, congrats on getting started on your path to higher education! i'm an undergrad at berkeley and the EECS department is fantastic! can't wait til your here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I say "stick to you guns". It doesn't cost others anything to install open office. Why should you have to shell out for something you don't want just to cater for someone elses wishes? OOo runs on all platforms.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Set your OpenOffice preferences to save as MS-Office and there shouldn't be an issue.
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    I say "stick to you guns". It doesn't cost others anything to install open office. Why should you have to shell out for something you don't want just to cater for someone elses wishes? OOo runs on all platforms.
    Why should others have to install OpenOffice because one member of their group doesn't have Microsoft Office?

That said, you probably won't have any format problems if dealing with simple text documents. Presentations, however, can be a headache.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, my husband just started going back to school at the age of 37. Better late than never indeed.

He's a Windows man, but he doesn't have much other MS software. No MSOffice or Works or Powerpoint. So far he's been able to do everything with OpenOffice, including editing a powerpoint presentation for a group project recently.

I wouldn't even bring it up.

I know with my husband, the school said he *has* to use MSOffice, *has* to use PowerPoint, *has* to use IE... it's just not so, he's been getting on just fine with Firefox and OpenOffice.

Congratulations on getting back to school.

-zami

Beans

Why should others have to install OpenOffice because one member of their group doesn't have Microsoft Office?
    yeah, thats part of the concern. 5 people choose one path for whatever reasons. 1 person, me, chooses a different path for whatever reasons.

who am i to say that my reasons are more important than their reasons?
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Congrats on going to college. I haven't got any advice on getting along in the system computer wise. Just remember that the profs control your future at this particular time. If you need to go the Windoze route don't forget to use your student discounts. Another way to save, is find an old Windows 2000 disk and buy an older version of Office.

Just some thoughts for saving a nickel and once again congrats.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I was able to make it through college just fine with OO.o
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    On a similar note, I'd suggest sticking to your guns, but doing it quietly.

I know with my husband, the school *requires* him to use MSOffice and IE. If he doesn't have them, he can buy them at a discount from the school bookstore. If he can't afford them with the student discount, he can apply for aid. See where this is going? If someone gets a bug up their but about it, he could be forced to buy MSOffice. (Which wouldn't be a HUGE deal but seriously, we have better things to do with our monies!)

But as it is he just uses his preffered apps with no one knowing the better.

-zami

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast