Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed Thunderbird 3 with Ubuntuzilla, can't find profile

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Installed Thunderbird 3 with Ubuntuzilla, can't find profile

I used Ubuntuzilla to install Firefox 3.6 and Thunderbird 3.0. FF worked perfectly but T'bird doesn't see my profile with all my mail, server settings, etc. I really don't want to reconfigure them if I can avoid it.

I tried moving the contents of my Thunderbird 2 profile's mail folder (in .mozilla-thunderbird) to my Thunderbird 3.0 profile (.thunderbird) but it didn't make a difference. Is this a permission problem or is something I'm missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Installed Thunderbird 3 with Ubuntuzilla, can't find profile

Quote Originally Posted by caro View Post
    I used Ubuntuzilla to install Firefox 3.6 and Thunderbird 3.0. FF worked perfectly but T'bird doesn't see my profile with all my mail, server settings, etc. I really don't want to reconfigure them if I can avoid it.

I tried moving the contents of my Thunderbird 2 profile's mail folder (in .mozilla-thunderbird) to my Thunderbird 3.0 profile (.thunderbird) but it didn't make a difference. Is this a permission problem or is something I'm missing?
    I'm on Karmic x86_64 though, and used the Mozilla daily PPA repository which installed TB 3.0.2, rather than Ubuntuzilla. On my system, TB 3 used .thunderbird-3.0 for its profile. Does that exist on your system? TB 3 picked up my TB 2 profile and imported everything over to the new installation automatically. I'm not sure why yours didn't. There may be some difference in the builds, or perhaps a bug in TB 3.0.

Did you try to import your old info into TB 3 using the Tools -> Import... wizard?
    Linux User #448337
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB, Q9650 Core 2 Quad @ 3.3 GHz (OC), 8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 SDRAM, EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS w/640MB, 40 GB Intel SSD, 2.0 TB x2 SATA RAID1, Ubuntu 17.04 x86_64

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker Bob View Post
    I'm on Karmic x86_64 though, and used the Mozilla daily PPA repository which installed TB 3.0.2, rather than Ubuntuzilla. On my system, TB 3 used .thunderbird-3.0 for its profile. Does that exist on your system? TB 3 picked up my TB 2 profile and imported everything over to the new installation automatically. I'm not sure why yours didn't. There may be some difference in the builds, or perhaps a bug in TB 3.0.

Did you try to import your old info into TB 3 using the Tools -> Import... wizard?
    There isn't a .thunderbird-3.0 on my system. I did try using the import wizard but it didn't see anything. I guess I could try to uninstall TB 3, go back to TB 2, export the files, and then start over and try to use the wizard but I'd rather not if I can avoid it. Lazy I guess.

Beans
    Distro

Or you could try installing from the Mozilla-Daily-Build PPA. Worked like a charm for me.
    Linux User #448337
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3L MB, Q9650 Core 2 Quad @ 3.3 GHz (OC), 8 GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 SDRAM, EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS w/640MB, 40 GB Intel SSD, 2.0 TB x2 SATA RAID1, Ubuntu 17.04 x86_64

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i believe it uses a different folder to store the setting home file [alt]+[h]
    .mozilla-thunderbird and .thungerbird all you should have to do it rename the folder
    i don't remember which is the right folder you want
    edit:
    skimmed 1st post
    try copying the inner folder the blabla.default
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    try copying the inner folder the blabla.default
    i did that. the first time i copied the entire contents of the profile folder (all files) and when i launched TB it said that another instance was running. so i removed the copied contents and then just moved the contents of the profile's mail folder. no luck.

Beans
    Distro

i did that. the first time i copied the entire contents of the profile folder (all files) and when i launched TB it said that another instance was running. so i removed the copied contents and then just moved the contents of the profile's mail folder. no luck.
    I'm guessing, but it doesn't look like you gave it an opportunity to import your stuff from scratch. Try uninstalling TB 3, delete the .thunderbird folder, leave your TB 2 folder intact, then reinstall TB 3. See if it imports TB 2 under that circumstance where there's no evidence of TB 3 ever having been there.
    Linux User #448337

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker Bob View Post
    I'm guessing, but it doesn't look like you gave it an opportunity to import your stuff from scratch. Try uninstalling TB 3, delete the .thunderbird folder, leave your TB 2 folder intact, then reinstall TB 3. See if it imports TB 2 under that circumstance where there's no evidence of TB 3 ever having been there.
    Tried that too. No go.

Beans
    Distro

Tried that too. No go.
    Hmmm. You've already tried everything I would have tried except one. Did you try using TB 3's profile manager?
    Linux User #448337

Beans
    Distro

Well, I tried copying the TB2 profile to /.thunderbird again. This time I edited profile.ini to point to the old profile that I moved. It worked, but there are some files in the original profile that are not there in the one I moved. Everything seems to work though so I guess it's all good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast