Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

Quote Originally Posted by tomkear2006 View Post
    For me, and I've seen posts by some other users, I get left click only from the clickpad on an unpatched kernel. This patch basically adds, middle and right hardware clicks, without breaking any other functionality at the same time.
    Fresh install of Natty running a HP Mini 210-1040NR. I can get right click with two-finger tap. I cannot, however, use the right mouse or a middle mouse button. Clicking and dragging is hard to accomplish with the clickpad. It's almost like this following kernel change was not replicated in Natty?:

- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/516329

I would be in your debt if you would be able to upload the files and provide the instructions to patch the kernel. This is driving me mad.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TimHeckman View Post
    Fresh install of Natty running a HP Mini 210-1040NR. I can get right click with two-finger tap. I cannot, however, use the right mouse or a middle mouse button. Clicking and dragging is hard to accomplish with the clickpad. It's almost like this following kernel change was not replicated in Natty?:

- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/516329

I would be in your debt if you would be able to upload the files and provide the instructions to patch the kernel. This is driving me mad.
    I will upload the files tonight along with instructions on how to apply the patch. It's very quick and easy to apply and is still working perfectly for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I will upload the files tonight along with instructions on how to apply the patch. It's very quick and easy to apply and is still working perfectly for me.
    Awesome. I'm sorry for his newbie-like question, but it's something I've never run in to before. I've been lucky enough that the kernel has had everything I needed.

When applying this patch what will need to be done when a new kernel version is provided from the repositories. Do I need to put it together manually?

Thanks for throwing the instructions together. I use my netbook as the mouse and keyboard for my system, so gimping along like this has been a bit unpleasant.

-Tim

Beans
    Hidden!

Awesome. I'm sorry for his newbie-like question, but it's something I've never run in to before. I've been lucky enough that the kernel has had everything I needed.

When applying this patch what will need to be done when a new kernel version is provided from the repositories. Do I need to put it together manually?

Thanks for throwing the instructions together. I use my netbook as the mouse and keyboard for my system, so gimping along like this has been a bit unpleasant.

-Tim

I have attached the relevant files to this post. The patch is installed using dkms so once the patch is applied, it will remain applied even when your computer is updated with newer kernel versions.

This is what I did and I hope it works for you too (obviously I can't guarantee anything):

1. Download the attached file to your computers desktop
    2. sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential
    3. cd ~/Desktop
    4. tar jxvf psmouse-2.6.38-8-generic.tar.bz2
    5. sudo mv psmouse-2.6.38-8-generic /usr/src
    6. cd /usr/src
    7. sudo chmod -R a+rx psmouse-2.6.38-8-generic
    8. sudo dkms add -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic
    9. sudo dkms build -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic
    10. sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic
    11. sudo shutdown -r now
    12. dkms status

The output of the last command should look similar to this (with no errors):
    "psmouse, 2.6.38-8-generic, 2.6.38-8-generic, i686: installed"

You can go ahead and delete the files on your desktop. If everything went well you can even right click to select "Move To Wastebasket".

Good luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have attached the relevant files to this post. The patch is installed using dkms so once the patch is applied, it will remain applied even when your computer is updated with newer kernel versions.

This is what I did and I hope it works for you too (obviously I can't guarantee anything):

1. Download the attached file to your computers desktop
    2. sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential
    3. cd ~/Desktop
    4. tar jxvf psmouse-2.6.38-8-generic.tar.bz2
    5. sudo mv psmouse-2.6.38-8-generic /usr/src
    6. cd /usr/src
    7. sudo chmod -R a+rx psmouse-2.6.38-8-generic
    8. sudo dkms add -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic
    9. sudo dkms build -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic
    10. sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic
    11. sudo shutdown -r now
    12. dkms status

The output of the last command should look similar to this (with no errors):
    "psmouse, 2.6.38-8-generic, 2.6.38-8-generic, i686: installed"

You can go ahead and delete the files on your desktop. If everything went well you can even right click to select "Move To Wastebasket".

Good luck!
    Thank you for the information. It installed without a hitch. I assume if I need to remove it that this will do the trick:
    Code:
    sudo dkms remove -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic
    The only thing that does not appear to be working fully is the hardware drag and drop. Works most of the time, but overall a flaky experience.

Regardless, thank you for this patch. Most of the functionality of my mousepad exists now. Using my netbook+synergy with my desktop will be enjoyable again!

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you for the information. It installed without a hitch. I assume if I need to remove it that this will do the trick:
    Code:
    sudo dkms remove -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic
    The only thing that does not appear to be working fully is the hardware drag and drop. Works most of the time, but overall a flaky experience.

Regardless, thank you for this patch. Most of the functionality of my mousepad exists now. Using my netbook+synergy with my desktop will be enjoyable again!
    Good, I'm glad it's working for you

To completely remove the patch you can use the following commands:
    1. sudo dkms uninstall -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic
    2. sudo dkms remove -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic --all

I normally double tap the touchpad to drag and drop so I just tested using the hardware button. For me, it seems fine, but you do need to press the hardware button before placing another finger on the touchpad to perform the drag.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good, I'm glad it's working for you

To completely remove the patch you can use the following commands:
    1. sudo dkms uninstall -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic
    2. sudo dkms remove -m psmouse -v 2.6.38-8-generic --all

I normally double tap the touchpad to drag and drop so I just tested using the hardware button. For me, it seems fine, but you do need to press the hardware button before placing another finger on the touchpad to perform the drag.
    That explains it! After doing that it works fine. Normally I do the double tap and drag, but it really depends on what I am doing whether that'll work or not.

Thanks again for the patch!

Beans

Works for me on my HP Mini 2105.

Thanks for the info!

Allen...

Beans

thanks great work, drag and drop needs some work but the rest is ok.

Oscar
    Santiago, Chile.

Beans

Not sure why but if I use both fingers from the same hand the drag and drop movement is more difficult but fluent. This is weird.

Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by fexolop View Post
    thanks great work, drag and drop needs some work but the rest is ok.

Oscar
    Santiago, Chile.

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast