Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

Quote Originally Posted by betoqp View Post
    I have an HP Mini 210 and recently installed Ubuntu Unity 10.10 on it as the only OS.
    I tried a solution (http://caseytinsley.wordpress.com/20...-touchpad-fix/)
    To undo this change delete the file /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe

The second solution you tried from jnetman1 is for an old version of Ubuntu, so it had no hope of working with 10.10. However I doubt you did any harm. They to find a solution later on, matching your Ubuntu version.

Garvan
    Desktop: Dell, Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93Ghz, 2GiB RAM, Linux Mint 13 Maya.
    Net-book: SAMSUNG N148-Plus, 2x Intel Atom CPU N450 @1.66Ghz, 1GB RAM, lubuntu 12.04.
    Laptop: Dell, Intel i5 @2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, Win 7

Beans

What I did was reinstalling my system. I went ahead and installed the pack synaptics-dkms_1.1.1_all.deb. It gave me:
    ·Two finger scrolling
    ·Two finger right click (though no physical right click)
    ·Sensitivity/speed were not affected
    ·No click and drag (I can do small drags by holding one physical click and dragging while pressing)
    ·As for the 30 second wait at the start, it happens to me, but pressing the <esc> key two or three times seems to somehow 'activate' the touchpad.

I highly recommend this solution to HP Mini 210 owners (I think right click has a higher priority than click and drag). Kudos to the contributers (Y)

Beans

So I did install a patched version of xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.3.0 (found in AUR) in Ubuntu.

Here's how (just paste the following to the terminal):
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver/xf86-input-synaptics-1.3.0.tar.bz2
    tar xfv xf86-input-synaptics-1.3.0.tar.bz2 
    cd xf86-input-synaptics-1.3.0/
    wget http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf86-input-synaptics-clickpad/xf86-input-synaptics-clickpad/synaptics-clickpad-support.patch
    patch -p1 < synaptics-clickpad-support.patch
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install
    and reboot your computer.

Disclaimer: I'm not really a power Linux user, so there's probably will be some additional steps I done before.

This patch enables the right click, but two-finger scroll (which I'm not using, edge scrolling FTW) is unavailable. Tested on my HP ProBook 4520s.
    Last edited by Mindr; January 10th, 2011 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Have you tried the clickpad with a fully updated Ubuntu? A kernel update appeared a few days ago, and it mentioned clickpads several times in the changelog. I haven't downloaded a Live CD to test it on my HP Mini yet. I definitely mentioned clickpads a few times though.

Might be worth a look

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberkilla View Post
    Have you tried the clickpad with a fully updated Ubuntu? A kernel update appeared a few days ago, and it mentioned clickpads several times in the changelog. I haven't downloaded a Live CD to test it on my HP Mini yet. I definitely mentioned clickpads a few times though.

Might be worth a look
    Nope, doesn't seem to fixed. I uninstalled the synaptics-dkms_1.1.1_all.deb package and rebooted, back to no right click and only edge scrolling. Reinstalled the deb and it's all good again...
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cyberkilla View Post

Might be worth a look
    Downloading the source of the latest Ubuntu kernel version 2.6.35 I find this is a comment in the source code of

/home/garvan/linux-source-2.6.35/drivers/input/mouse/synaptics.c

Code:
    /*
     * Clickpad's button is transmitted as middle button,
     * however, since it is primary button, we will report
     * it as BTN_LEFT.
     */
    hw->left = ((buf[0] ^ buf[3]) & 0x01) ? 1 : 0;
    With this code it will never be possible for the code below designed to transmit clicks by position on the click-pad to work.

Code:
    /* left and right clickpad button ranges;
     * the gap between them is interpreted as a middle-button click
     */
    #define CLICKPAD_LEFT_BTN_X \
    ((XMAX_NOMINAL - XMIN_NOMINAL) * 2 / 5 + XMIN_NOMINAL)
    #define CLICKPAD_RIGHT_BTN_X \
    ((XMAX_NOMINAL - XMIN_NOMINAL) * 3 / 5 + XMIN_NOMINAL)

/* handle clickpad events */
    static void clickpad_process_packet(struct synaptics_data *priv,
        struct synaptics_hw_state *hw)
    {
    /* clickpad mode reports Y range from 0 to YMAX_NOMINAL,
     * where the area Y < YMIN_NOMINAL is used as click buttons
     */
    if (hw->y < YMIN_NOMINAL) {
    /* button area */
    hw->z = 0; /* don't move pointer */
    /* clickpad reports only the middle button, and we need
     * to fake left/right buttons depending on the touch position
     */
    if (hw->middle) { /* clicked? */
    I recall there is another issue with the reported capabilities of the click-pad, also easily fixed. What i don't understand is why it has not been fixed long ago.

Garvan
    Desktop: Dell, Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93Ghz, 2GiB RAM, Linux Mint 13 Maya.
    Net-book: SAMSUNG N148-Plus, 2x Intel Atom CPU N450 @1.66Ghz, 1GB RAM, lubuntu 12.04.
    Laptop: Dell, Intel i5 @2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, Win 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pauljwells View Post
    Nope, doesn't seem to fixed. I uninstalled the synaptics-dkms_1.1.1_all.deb package and rebooted, back to no right click and only edge scrolling. Reinstalled the deb and it's all good again...
    Damn, I apologise for giving you false hope. Just for the record, the lines in the change log that tricked me were:

Code:
    Version 2.6.35-25.43: 

[ Robert Hooker ]

* Revert "(pre-stable): input: Support Clickpad devices in ClickZone
        mode"
        - LP: #669399

[ Takashi Iwai ]

* SAUCE: input: Support Clickpad devices in ClickZone mode
        - LP: #516329
    Looks like something was done, then reverted?
    Last edited by cyberkilla; February 3rd, 2011 at 08:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pauljwells View Post
    Hello,
    following this thread I installed the cited synaptics-dkms 1.1.1, and oh wonderful, it gave me the functionality I needed. BUT

A recent system upgrade, which included kernel 2.6.35-25 (before I had 2.6.35-24), destroyed the whole benefit. Instead, tipping with two fingers, which was the right-click, now results in an uncontrolled random jump of the mouse pointer. Removing and re-installing of the synaptics-dkms file did not help, neither booting back into the previous kernel version.

I have not the slightest idea what to do. Any suggestions what I could look up?

BTW, I have the Envy13, same touchpad as the one for the mini.

Lokesh

Beans

Smile Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    I've got the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The "trigger secondary click by holding down primary button" (under System> Mouse) isn't a disaster if you really need a right click, at least.
    Ok! Very good indeed! Thanks.

Beans

I used the 11-touchpad.conf file and everything seems to work fine except for the click area. I set the threshold to 3900 which disabled tapping/moving below the line on the touchpad but when I want to click (left or right) I need to press the bottom millimeter of the button.

Is there an option I'm not seeing in the manpage? I just want to be able to click anywhere within the button confines instead of the bottom millimeter of the buttons.

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast