Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

Beans

Re: HP Mini 210 touchpad right click not working

hey videoroy,

so i reinstalled ubuntu to get rid of my previous settings, and then i followed exactly what you did. while following post 54 i also ran the line:
    gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/scroll_method 2 --type int

i then installed andy's patch, made you changes to the .conf file and rebooted.

my mouse pad now has right click, but it is erratic if i try to use two fingers and it does not scroll at all (two fingers or edge).

Did you not run the line i mentioned previously?

do you have any ideas what im doing wrong?

thanks

Beans

Hey guys, I've been reading through the suggestions on the thread, but I'm really confused where to begin and what step to follow next (everyone seems to have a different suggestion for 11-touchpad.conf.

Can someone who knows what they're doing quickly summarise the steps and order necessary to get a working touchpad.

1) Which 11-touchpad.conf to use
    2) Which order do I do this? touchpad.conf first or Andy's deb first?

I would like to have:

1) touchpad LEFT and RIGHT click working (cursor doesn't tweak when I have two fingers on separate areas of the touchpad)
    2) two finger scroll working

An added bonus would be able to enable edge scrolling / and or horizontal scroll in conjunction with two finger scroll.

Thanks!

EDIT: I've gotten it to work... kind of. The cursor will still slightly move when attempting to commit a click and this prevents precision clicks which is super annoying. Does anyone know of a way to make it so that if two points of contact are present on the touchpad and one of the points is located within a "click zone", that the cursor is prevented from moving, or sensitivity is turned WAY down during this duration?
    Last edited by taofd; November 3rd, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Beans

This is what I did to get
    1. Left and Right click.
    2. Vertical Scroll

Created /etc/udev/rules.d/66-xorg-synaptics.rules
    This tag the device as hpmini_210

Code:
    ACTION!="add|change", GOTO="xorg_synaptics_end"
    KERNEL!="event*", GOTO="xorg_synaptics_end"

ENV{ID_INPUT_TOUCHPAD}!="1", GOTO="xorg_synaptics_end"

# Placeholder for platform specific quirks needing
    # ID_INPUT.tags to be set.
    ATTR{[dmi/id]product_name}=="HP Mini 210-1100", ENV{ID_INPUT.tags}="hpmini_210"

LABEL="xorg_synaptics_end"
    Created /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/52-synaptics-quirks.conf
    This sets the click zone and jump threshold, you can add more setting to suite your needs, and it only applies to HP mini 210 click pad with the MatchTag setting.

Code:
    Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "HP 210 embedded buttons quirks"
        MatchTag "hpmini_210"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "synaptics"
        Option "JumpyCursorThreshold" "200"
        Option "AreaBottomEdge" "3900"
    EndSection

And install the patched andyeyre's xorg-synaptic package on post #119 to get right click.

Beans

Out of curiosity, how do you guys know what to put in these conf files? Is there documentation available for the synaptics driver, or for what will work for the hp 210?

I still don't have two-finger scroll working -___-;

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by taofd View Post
    Out of curiosity, how do you guys know what to put in these conf files? Is there documentation available for the synaptics driver, or for what will work for the hp 210?

I still don't have two-finger scroll working -___-;
    It's in the man page.
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...naptics.4.html

Beans

I think it will be helpful if people who got it working can post the output of
    Code:
    synclient -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by skipperx View Post
    I think it will be helpful if people who got it working can post the output of
    Code:
    synclient -l
    Sorry folks I have been traveling without my computer.

My setup is working very well for me. All I did was make the changes I posted in the 11-touchpad.conf and installed Andy's patch and rebooted. To be clear I do not use the 2 finger scroll because I cannot use that method for my fingers. Also I am using the HP mini 2102 but all the hardware is identical to the 210 (I have inside info on that one)

Attached is the output of synclient and my 11-touchpad.conf file if it helps anyone. Note I added .txt to the 11-touchpad.conf so it would upload here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by VideoRoy; November 5th, 2010 at 10:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I should probably start another thread but this one seems to have some momentum.

I still have one weird problem that comes and goes and after reading some of the other posts here I think others may have it but describing it differently.

The problem is when I left click and try to highlight text or move an object with the second finger, the pointer goes crazy and moves all over. This is how I highlight text most of the time. I think others are experiencing the same problem here.

The strange thing is that sometimes it will work as expected even without me making any change that I know of. Maybe some application sets it working or some other activity.

Any way I have saved output of synclient -l in my non-working config and if I ever get it working again I will capture it again and hopefully the change is in there. If anyone has this working I would appreciate knowing what you did or just capture synclient -l output to a file an post it.

BTW: Thanks to oxfrombws for the AreaBottomEdge "3900" setting. This has helped make the workaround a little smoother for me since it keeps the button area from reacting like a normal touchpad if you graze it.

Great help here in the forums!
    Last edited by VideoRoy; November 7th, 2010 at 06:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I booted up this morning and left click drag / highlight is working fine again. Ran synclient and the only difference is the LockedDrags=0 now where as I had it enabled before when it was not working for me.

I am a little suspicious that this is actually the problem because during troubleshooting I changed this value from on to off a couple of times and rebooted and it did not make a difference. The only difference this time was a cold boot but Ubuntu should not know the difference unless a setting is kept in a different location.

I will continue to monitor this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello, will there be a fix for this problem available in Maverick within the next few of months?

I've read through the entire thread, and, forgive me if I'm mistaken, but there doesn't appear to be fully fledged solution available at the moment.

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast