Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it harmful to use the laptop on AC when the battery is in?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is it harmful to use the laptop on AC when the battery is in?

Hi,

I am being warned by few friends that if I continue using my laptop plugged to AC power without taking the battery out, my battery life will shorten. is there something like that true?

I have a Lenovo T400 which I purchased a year ago.

Thanks.
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is it harmful to use the laptop on AC when the battery is in?

not that I have ever heard, but with some older batteries, you do have to let them fully discharge every once in a while, or they will only ever recharge a small portion of the amount used.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Hidden!

Short answer, yes. Don't overcharge it, I have done that with this laptop, and eventually it got down so far I stopped caring so right now it is at about 17% designed capacity.

Best bet is to charge it to about 40% and take it out if you are going to be on AC.
    4GB OCZ Gold RAM Windows XP/Slackware64 NVIDIA GTS250 GDDR3 320 Western Digital HD AMD Athlon x64 5400+

Slackware Linsux

Beans

Post Re: Is it harmful to use the laptop on AC when the battery is in?

A lot of people say it is harmful, but I have seen many laptops used this way for several years, with no apparent damage or problems.

Tim

Beans

If you are using the laptop on AC power then remove the battery. If you are using battery power then whenever possible fully charge the battery and then fully (or almost fully) discharge it again.

Modern batteries are more robust than previous types, but the above is still good advice.
    Go out, do stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It can produce spacetime wormholes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    A lot of people say it is harmful, but I have seen many laptops used this way for several years, with no apparent damage or problems.

Tim
    Agreed. I believe with Lithium Ion batteries, which most if not all laptops use these days, it should not be an issue.

It is true that using the battery will eventually wear it out, but I've had multiple laptops over recent years, used daily. I leave it plugged in and on all day every day and I'm probably down to about 80% of capacity after about 1.5 years.

Mileage will vary, but similar to the circuit in a float charger, it will only maintain the battery charge when left plugged in.

Beans

Batteries have a finite capacity where they are able to be charged completely. After this limit is reached, their charge capacity dwindles. If you leave a battery in while on AC, it is in a constant "charge" state and, depending on design, can die faster.

Modern batteries are much better in this regard, but if you plan on being connected to AC power for a long time, it isn't a bad idea to remove the battery.

Also keep in mind that it is harmful for lithium batteries to be completely drained. This will also quickly reduce battery life and total capacity.

Beans

I suspect it is. I have done that for quite a while on my laptop, and my battery life is only about 30 minutes or less after a few years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Battery = 2 Years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast