I get the error: 'bind: Cannot assign requested address'

'ifconfig lo' gives:
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:2403 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:2403 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:310225 (310.2 KB) TX bytes:310225 (310.2 KB)

/etc/hosts:
    127.0.0.1 localhost

So loopback seems to be up and running, I just can't seem to bind a port to it. I can tunnel from other machines so I must have something configured wrong. I'm running NetworkManager and Xubuntu 9.10 2.6.31 under Karmic. I've Googled this quite a bit and looked around on the forum to no avail so any suggestions or help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ssh tunnel issue 'bind: Cannot assign requested address'

First, I'm confused by your command line. With that command, your local machine will be both sides of the tunnel, since the target host for the ssh command is localhost. Maybe this is what you intended:
    Code:
    ssh -f someserver.net -L2024:localhost:22 -N
    That's not the cause of your problem. It just looks strange to me.

As for the bind, are you certain that you don't already have a process bound to port 2024 on localhost? Run 'sudo netstat -lnp | grep :2024' Is anything listed? And if so, do you recognize the pid/command of the binding process (it's the last field in the line)?

Beans

Thanks Brandon for the reply. I tried both our commands on a different computer and they both seemed to do what I wanted, 'ssh localhost' puts me on the remote machine. This is strange, i'm probably doing something wrong.

Anyhow, on my computer I try using your command and I still get the same error. I ran netstat and it doesn't show anything on that port, so it seems to be free. I also tried some arbitrary ports as well, and still have the problem.

Any more suggestions would be most welcome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can't get your command line to work, but Brandon's does work for me. Not much help but it seems that it's something on that particular machine.

You might try 'sudo netstat -lnp | grep 127.' That will show you what ports are bound to localhost (127.0.0.1)
    Last edited by pbrane; January 24th, 2010 at 02:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

When it comes down to it, neither one of the commands is particularly meaningful, since it doesn't make sense to open an ssh tunnel to another machine in order to communicate with that machine via ssh. Since you have direct ssh access to the remote machine, both command lines will appear to work. You would get a better idea of which one of the command lines is correct if you were attempting to tunnel to a service that you can get to from the remote machine but not the local one.

As for the bind failure, I tried a few different things, and the only way I could find to generate that particular error was to provide an invalid bind address to the -L flag. In other words, if I do this:
    Code:
    ssh -f someserver.net -L192.168.2.2:2024:localhost:22 -N
    The command will fail with that specific bind error code, since 192.168.2.2 is not configured on my local machine. This makes it seem like sshd is using a bad default bind address for the tunnel. Try this command line:
    Code:
    ssh -f someserver.net -L127.0.0.1:2024:localhost:22 -N
    This will explicitly tell it to bind using IP address 127.0.0.1, which is what it should already be doing by default. Does it work if you do that?
    Last edited by Brandon Williams; January 24th, 2010 at 06:05 AM.

Beans

That was really helpful, your command does what I want it to - enable me to start a vnc session with a host computer over ssh.

So it seems I need to specify 127.0.0.1 as the IP of localhost. In /etc/hosts I have the line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

which would lead me to believe that this is not necessary. Is there something i'm missing? Is there somewhere else I need to assign the IP 127.0.0.1 to localhost?

Also, the ssh command I have above does not work for what I had intended it to do, thanks for the correction.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use a command like to create a dynamic port forward to my server. It allows me to access my router which is not accessible from the internet otherwise. I don't use port 22 for ssh either, too many port sniffers hitting on that.

Code:
    ssh -D2024 user@someserver.net
    This allows any protocol to work over that tunnel.
    Last edited by pbrane; January 24th, 2010 at 03:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't think that the issue is in your /etc/hosts file, unless there's more than one listing for localhost there. The other one would have to be invalid _and_ it would have to be the one selected by ssh for this purpose, which seems unlikely.

Try running the ssh command without explicitly specifying 127.0.0.1 as the binding for the -L flag, remove the -f and -N flags, and include -v to get debug output. In other words:
    Code:
    ssh someserver.net -v -L2024:localhost:22 -o ExitOnForwardFailure=yes
    Look for the line that starts with: 'debug1: Local connections to <somevalue>:2024 forwarded'. What do that line and the next few say? The 'Local connections ... forwarded' line should say LOCALHOST where I've marked out <somevalue>. The next line or two should indicate good addresses for LOCALHOST. Do they?

Beans

So this is the output from the command, after the point you specify:

debug1: Local connections to LOCALHOST:2024 forwarded to remote address localhost:22
    debug1: Local forwarding listening on 127.0.0.1 port 2024.
    debug1: channel 0: new [port listener]
    debug1: Local forwarding listening on ::1 port 2024.
    bind: Cannot assign requested address
    debug1: channel 1: new [client-session]
    debug1: Requesting no-more-sessions@openssh.com
    debug1: Entering interactive session.
    debug1: Sending environment.
    debug1: Sending env LANG = en_US.UTF-8

Clearly it doesn't like '::1'

/etc/hosts/ has the ipv6 line:
    ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

But I tried commenting that out and running your command again and it still gave the same results as above. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Hmmm ... the only thing I can think of is that you don't have an IPv6 localhost address configured on your system. The problem should still clear up by removing localhost from that line in /etc/hosts, though, which should cause the resolver to stop returning that address when you lookup localhost.

To work-around the problem, you've got two choices: explicitly specify 127.0.0.1 as the bind address for every portforward, as in comments 5 and 6 above, or add the -4 flag to every ssh command line so that it uses IPv4 only, e.g.:
    Code:
    ssh -4 -f someserver.net -L2024:localhost:22 -N
    To continue diagnosing, the next step is to determine whether the IPv6 localhost address is configured on your system. What is the output from this command line?
    Code:
    ip add show | grep inet6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast