Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grub Beta freakout

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub Beta freakout

Quote Originally Posted by Techsnap View Post
    Because I do, because I use my system how I want to, not how people THINK I should use it....
    No you're not, this is garbage.
    I appreciate your 'whatever, Eff you- ill do it my way' view on things. To be honest, sure- youre bound to learn things 10x faster than most others because you sit and fight with it to get it to work EXACTLY how you want it.

What I would like to know is; whats garbage about my statement?
    Am I not correct in stating that, beyond a generally simple setup, you will have to delve deeper into the programming and code to get harddrives that are attached in non-traditional ways?

Grub CAN handle booting from external drives, networked drives, etc. You just have to tell it how to do so. THATS what Im trying to say.
    Java Guide Media support Flash x64 Grub2 Get Dropbox! My Look! RSync Twitter

"Windows 7 was my idea"- I guess Microsoft enjoys copyright infringement?

Beans
    Hidden!

Because having a few OS's installed with a bootloader booting systems from other drives on a desktop computer is not advanced that's why. Also my point is, LILO and GRUB have been able to do this absolutely fine for years, so why in 2009/10 do we have a new version which can't do it anymore?.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Techsnap View Post
    Because having a few OS's installed with a bootloader booting systems from other drives on a desktop computer is not advanced that's why. Also my point is, LILO and GRUB have been able to do this absolutely fine for years, so why in 2009/10 do we have a new version which can't do it anymore?.
    Its not that it *cant* do it anymore, its just that its being upgraded. Sure, you could still get it to work- granted, itll take a few more steps because its different than the old version, but itll be better.

As the dev comes along, it will eventually be better than anything out there.

I mean, come on- look at some of the mockups for Grub 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBCR0jVzMFs
    Java Guide Media support Flash x64 Grub2 Get Dropbox! My Look! RSync Twitter

"Windows 7 was my idea"- I guess Microsoft enjoys copyright infringement?

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh my... you can't seem to realise that I'm fully aware of that. GRUB2 is fine in it's place in a cutting edge distro such as Arch or Fedora (It wasn't even present in F12!) But giving it to Ubuntu is out of place.

What good are GRUB themes without it being able to boot the system properly anyways.

Beans

My first impression for Grub2 (which I didn't use much) is that it seems overly complicated. I tried to install it, but it didn't detect my Windows partition, and I couldn't figure out at all how to fix it (with the aid of Google), now that the menu.lst file is gone and there are forty different commands you can issue.

Wow, I need to learn how to organize my thoughts. At any rate, I'm with Techsnap. Lilo is much simpler and better for my needs.
    Word.
    More Word.
    Maximum Wordage.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My experience with Grub 2 is that it takes over 2 minutes to load the OS option list. That's just ridiculous when any of the actual OS's boot in under 45 seconds.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by tom.swartz07 View Post
    Id say your case is one of the outlying 'special' cases.
    If your computer is set up in such a way that it isnt just 1 or 2 hdds and a few OSs, youre bound to run into problems.

Quite frankly, Id be willing to say that if youre creating a computer with that advanced of a setup, youre probably better off using a more 'advanced' bootloader.
    I have to agree, this is garbage. The system they described fits exactly what you've described, it's not true at all that you're bound to run into problems with it, their setup is no more advanced than any other multiboot setup and good luck finding a more 'advanced' bootloader than GRUB 2 or legacy. Besides which they are a LILO user which predates GRUB, so why would they need a more advanced bootloader? The problem isn't the setup, it's the performance of GRUB 2. My own experience is a wait of around 10-15 seconds between stage 1 and the boot menu. Compared to any other bootloader that's a terrible performance.

Beans
    Hidden!

My problem is that it takes a minute and a half to load the OS selection menu. That's not forgivable.

Beans
    Hidden!

You know what, I'm trying to explain to you people that Ubuntu shouldn't have this by default because it's not stable yet but you seem to still be saying about my configuration. I Don't use Ubuntu I don't care a crap about Ubuntu. But when I suggest things which quite rightfully are true that a beginner distro should not include such a broken BOOTLOADER by default, yes this is BOOTLOADER it's not a toy.

Screw Ubuntu, it will continue to make people pissed off with Linux for many years to come with software like this in by default but who cares .

I like the way that people are saying about LILO predating GRUB and stuff, well shouldn't that give you a hint? How comes a bootloader which hasn't been updated since 2007 can do a better job than GRUB2 released in 2009? How? Explain that one to me come on?

My problem is that it takes a minute and a half to load the OS selection menu.
    But Frak look at all the excellent themes you can have .
    Last edited by Techsnap; January 22nd, 2010 at 09:01 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Techsnap

I'm sorry Ubuntu didn't work out for you, I hope whatever OS you decide to use, it does what you need.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast