Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File associations -Vlc instead of Totem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

File associations -Vlc instead of Totem

I've edited the default file list association; sudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list
    replacing all the totem.desktop with vlc.desktop (ctrl+H). however I don't understand how but VLC opens only certain files such as .flac, .wmv but not .mp3, .avi
    how is that possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: File associations -Vlc instead of Totem

If you are running a standard Ubuntu installation (with GNOME) then you can simply go to System > Preferences > Preferred Applications in the menu. Change the tab to Multimedia and set it to the VLC Player and it should then work.

Beans

I would be interested in knowing exactly how to do that. Vlc has been installed but it doesn't show up as a choice under preferred apps.

Thank You

Beans

also the system defaults.list will be overruled by the users own in ~/.local/share/applications (defaults.list and mimeapps.list). For individual filetypes change the default app by rightclick, then properties, then the tab "open with" (so not "open with" right from the context menu).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by squrl View Post
    I would be interested in knowing exactly how to do that. Vlc has been installed but it doesn't show up as a choice under preferred apps.
    Choose Custom from the drop-down and enter your preferred command (presumably vlc) in the Command: field.

(It's probably just vlc you want to enter, but there may be arguments you'd like to include. You have options. The VLC icon in my panel is actually vlc %f.)
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by VCoolio View Post
    then the tab "open with" (so not "open with" right from the context menu).
    thanks, this was my mistake. so I can do this manually for every file extension now.

the mimeapps.list looks like this
    Code:
    [Added Associations]
    application/x-bittorrent=kde4-ktorrent.desktop;transmission.desktop;
    application/x-wine-extension-inf=userapp-wine-QSS12U.desktop;
    application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop;file-roller.desktop;userapp-wine-QSS12U.desktop;
    video/x-msvideo=vlc.desktop;totem.desktop;gnome-mplayer.desktop;mplayer.desktop;
    I'm not quite sure how to edit it in order to have VLC for everything

Quote Originally Posted by jamesisin View Post
    Choose Custom from the drop-down and enter your preferred command (presumably vlc) in the Command: field.

(It's probably just vlc you want to enter, but there may be arguments you'd like to include. You have options. The VLC icon in my panel is actually vlc %f.)
    yea VLC of course , but what should I type exactly in the command blank space?

Beans
    Distro

vlc

Or

vlc %f

I'm not sure if there are other arguments available. Nor do I know what the %f argument does.
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

to be specific: /usr/bin/vlc (if you installed vlc from a deb / repo), you can check with 'which vlc'. But because /usr/bin is in your PATH (the folders where the system looks for apps automatically, check with "echo $PATH") you only need 'vlc' to run vlc.

The %f means it will open the file that is piped to it (or drag and dropped on a launcher). %F would mean it could open multiple files at once (in the case of vlc a bad idea); %u / %U the same but for urls, %d for directory. More here.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. Very useful.

I wonder...

When I dump a handful of files on VLC they each open an instance of VLC. Is there a way to set it up so that if I dump a handful of files they are merely added to the playlist when VLC is opened? (Perhaps %F?)
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

When I dump a handful of files on VLC they each open an instance of VLC. Is there a way to set it up
    Depends on what version of vlc you have. If more recent then look in tools -> preferences -> "allow only one instance"

set it up so that if I dump a handful of files they are merely added to the playlist
    Again depends on vlc version and how to do on the ubuntu version
    No 1.0.X version will support the enqueue gui setting so you need to create a userapp.desktop (custom command) with a launch comm. of vlc --playlist-enqueue

(Atm vlc remains poor at properly ordered tracks when added in a group, I tend to use a playlist for that (.m3u, .xspf ect.) or add individually from r.click -> open with Vlc Enqueue or d. left click (file association with Vlc Enqueue

The best thing to do with userapp.desktop's is after creating one is to open in a text editor and give a distinctive name. (found in ~/.local/share/applications

for instance to queue in vlc

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Exec=vlc --playlist-enqueue %f
    Name=Vlc Enqueue
    Comment=Custom definition for vlc
    NoDisplay=true
    Icon=/home/doug/Documents/vlc32x32.png
    Name[en_US]=Vlc Enqueue
    userapp.desktops can also be edited thru their properties, easier on some ubuntu releases than text editor
    Last edited by mc4man; January 22nd, 2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: prop...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast