Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing A Full Install of Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Cool Re: Removing A Full Install of Ubuntu 9.10

K brah, lamens terms time!!

First off you kinda screwed up, thats ok though. Have you tried both your vista option, and the windows 7 option? If they are both resulting in a windows recovery try to let it recover its boot loader, if for some reason its helpless, then you will need to boot your windows 7 disk again, and hit recovery. What you want to do is a "start up" recovery, where it tries to fix the boot problem. Only thing is it might not work, or if it does, it might overwrite the grub boot loader, meaning you would lose the ablity to boot into ubuntu, but the space would still be taken up by it. Now if you have alot on your current windows and are desperate to save it (and i mean this..because fixing a boot sequence is either a sinch, or a complete S.O.B), then try those things. Otherwise i recomend wiping both partitions (you lose everything), using the windows install disk and then doing the following.

This is what you should have done in order to dual boot, without losing the windows boot loader. First windows needs to be installed, but when you install it go into the advanced option after clicking custum install (not upgrade), this allows you to specify the size of the partition. default is for windows to use the whole drive..you don't want that cause u want to dual boot. so usually i divide the max number by 2 then put that in and make the partition. now you will have half unpartitioned space and half NTSC partition. Then you go ahead and install windows 7 on that NTSC partition. Once fully completed, and you have actually booted into the windows 7 enviroment then shutdown. Now boot the Ubuntu disk. When the disk eventually boots the partition editor, you will see several options. Even though the default says boot ubuntu side by side with your other OS..this options sucks. Because we actually pre-planned this you have a bunch of unpartitioned space waiting for ubuntu. So you want to choose "use the continuous free space". Continue through the install till you get to the screen where its a summary of what you are about to install. You will see and advanced button, click that and make sure that the check next to "install boot loader" is enabled for hd0. Ok now let it install ubuntu. once your comp restarts. you will have similar options that you have now, exept if you choose windows 7 (sometimes says vista boot loader) it should fully boot no problems..no recovery issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Removing A Full Install of Ubuntu 9.10

Ok, but Windows 7 goes to Windows 7. I'm in that right now. You mean I need to dig out my Windows 7 install disk?

Beans
    Distro

Windows 7 is fine. Someone said earlier that Grub thought Windows 7 Recovery was Windows Vista. All Windows is fine, I just want to restore 3 days earlier. System Restore is only in Windows, so it wouldn't restore the boot. I want to remove Ubuntu and go back to only Windows!!! How would I do that? That is all I want to know right now.

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Removing A Full Install of Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by GnubbyaBush View Post
    K brah, lamens terms time!!

First off you kinda screwed up, thats ok though. Have you tried both your vista option, and the windows 7 option? If they are both resulting in a windows recovery try to let it recover its boot loader, if for some reason its helpless, then you will need to boot your windows 7 disk again, and hit recovery. What you want to do is a "start up" recovery, where it tries to fix the boot problem. Only thing is it might not work, or if it does, it might overwrite the grub boot loader, meaning you would lose the ablity to boot into ubuntu, but the space would still be taken up by it. Now if you have alot on your current windows and are desperate to save it (and i mean this..because fixing a boot sequence is either a sinch, or a complete S.O.B), then try those things. Otherwise i recomend wiping both partitions (you lose everything), using the windows install disk and then doing the following.

This is what you should have done in order to dual boot, without losing the windows boot loader. First windows needs to be installed, but when you install it go into the advanced option after clicking custum install (not upgrade), this allows you to specify the size of the partition. default is for windows to use the whole drive..you don't want that cause u want to dual boot. so usually i divide the max number by 2 then put that in and make the partition. now you will have half unpartitioned space and half NTSC partition. Then you go ahead and install windows 7 on that NTSC partition. Once fully completed, and you have actually booted into the windows 7 enviroment then shutdown. Now boot the Ubuntu disk. When the disk eventually boots the partition editor, you will see several options. Even though the default says boot ubuntu side by side with your other OS..this options sucks. Because we actually pre-planned this you have a bunch of unpartitioned space waiting for ubuntu. So you want to choose "use the continuous free space". Continue through the install till you get to the screen where its a summary of what you are about to install. You will see and advanced button, click that and make sure that the check next to "install boot loader" is enabled for hd0. Ok now let it install ubuntu. once your comp restarts. you will have similar options that you have now, exept if you choose windows 7 (sometimes says vista boot loader) it should fully boot no problems..no recovery issues.
    I choose option #1. But Windows 7 works. I'm using it to post this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Use your Windows install disk to go into a Windows Recovery mode. Use the command fixmbr. This will over-write the grub boot sector with the regular Windows boot sector. Then you can reformat the ubuntu partitions to use for whatever you want.

Beans
    Distro

I'll try that in a minute. I have some emails to do now. I'll post the results in about half an hour, so stay watching.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Forget what I just said above. It works a little different with Windows 7. This site shows you how to fix the mbr:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html

Beans
    Distro

Wait...
    Will this delete any Windows files at all?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It will just replace the grub boot sector with the Windows boot sector that was originally there. Then it will boot straight into Windows like it used to. Then you can do whatever you want to with the Ubuntu partitions.

Beans
    Distro

Good, I'm going to get my Windows disk now.. Have to reboot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast