View Poll Results: Is APT better or worse than YUM?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, APT is better than YUM

82 71.93%
  • I like both of them the same

26 22.81%
  • No, APT is worse than YUM

23 20.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on APT

Beans

Your opinion on APT

What is you guys's opinion on APT? Do you say it is better than YUM, or are they the same? Or, is APT worse than YUM?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Your opinion on APT

I think apt is way better than yum.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yum > Apt

Beans

I haven't used yum, but I really like pacman more than apt.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Yum > Apt
    Yes
    Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility! -Tyler Durden, Fight Club

Beans

I like APT better than YUM. Haven't used YUM much, but the times that I have I wasn't really a fan of it. I like pacman best though, simply for its speed and top notch dependency handling, as well as the fact that it's easy to make packages (still haven't managed to make a DEB package right...), but yeah APT is pretty good
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Having not used YUM extensively, I can't give an honest answer. However, I do like APT a lot. YUM would need to be pretty amazing in order to top it.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Apt's commandline interface is arcanic and not very userfriendly. The underlying packaging format I haven't worked a lot with but it seems very hard to work with.

Yum has a very nice commandline interface, it displays information in a useful manner and it's tools are very well designed. Sadly the underlying RPM packaging format is anything if not verbose to the point of absurdity.

Of the two I like Yum the best, I also like the yum/rpm works very well with PackageKit whereas apt/dpkg does not.

The best tool as a packager isn't yum or apt though, it's Conary and it really does pretty much everything right from a packaging point of view, it is easy to work with. As a user though it is fairly slow but worst is that it doesn't correctly handle situation where you want to uninstall A which B depends on. Instead of offering to uninstall both it will refuse to do anything which isn't very helpful. Conary does have a lot of nice features though, it downloads deltas instead of full packages, it offers unlimited rollbacks and it works very well with PackageKit.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Voted for all of them.

Beans
    Hidden!

APT whines more than YUM especially when you start force installing packages, it's certainly slower than YUM too and also the ncurses aptitude interface is awful.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast