Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much memory does or DE or WM use?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How much memory does or DE or WM use?

Please post your desktop environment and/or window manager's memory usage once it's loaded without other applications running. Thanks.

DE: Gnome
    RAM: 92MB

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How much memory does or DE or WM use?

Quote Originally Posted by stars View Post
    Please post your desktop environment and/or window manager's memory usage once it's loaded without other applications running. Thanks.

DE: Gnome
    RAM: 92MB
    Question is, can you get gnome down to 50 mb or less?
    Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility! -Tyler Durden, Fight Club

Beans

I technically have 311 MB used right now, but that's the kernel making it useful (not sure how, but I know all my apps running is not much at all, I use Openbox) since I have 4 GB of RAM. My actual WM is using 1.1 MB of RAM, which is technically what you asked If you add Pcmanfm and Lxpanel total Lxtask says the three combines is about 9 MB. Those are the only programs running always.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

well my desktop (xmonad) is using 65mb of ram at cold boot according to free -m, i dont know how much of that is being used xmonad thou

WM: xmonad
    programs: xsetroot to set the cursor , setxkbmap to set the keymap, and feh to draw the wallpaper, lxterminal
    Last edited by markp1989; January 21st, 2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Hidden!

Question is, can you get gnome down to 50 mb or less?
    Yep the OP should try it. I have managed to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Techsnap, thanks for confirming Icehuck's ideal of using 50MB. What did you do to achieve that? I'm still new to gnome since I've always used mostly cli or box wm's in the past. So far, I've used sysv-rc-conf and removed most startup applications. What steps did you take to achieve 50MB?

Beans
    Hidden!

Well the end result isn't particularly that nice considering you have to disable GTK themes and uninstall Nautilus. I can't recall exactly what I did but I'll give it a go again this weekend perhaps.

Beans

KDE 4
    50 megabytes?

... they suspected nothing O.O
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Techsnap, if you find the time to do that it would be great. Box wm's really spoil a user I think since they're so light and easy to configure. I thought it would be fun to try a de for a change.

hoppipolla, haven't tried kde in ages, though many seem to like.

Beans
    Hidden!

hoppipolla: I use KDE all the time, I have used KDE for 8 solid years on Linux but I've never got KDE 4 running in 50MB RAM, it's usually between 95 & 130MB.

stars: Yeah I'll post here when I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast