Thread: curlftpfs for win?

Beans

curlftpfs for win?

curlftpfs lets you mount an ftp server you have access to as a 'local' folder so you can transfer stuff by simply dragging and dropping in nautilus/pcmanfm/whatever.

i recently learned about it so i could use the ftp subdomain geekconnection.org was awesome enough to set up for me. (i still don't know what else i can do with it from the command line. necessity is how i learn )

as i learn linux tools to administer and accomplish various tasks on linux servers, i like to somewhat keep track of how windows users go about the same things.

for example, after i learned about ssh... i learned about PuTTY and have it filed away in the back of my brain in case i ever need to use it on a win machine.

there is, as i understand it, no equivalent of sshfs on windows.

is there a windows tool that lets users mount ftp servers as 'local' folders?

if not, what is the most popular method or two that windows users use to manage ftp servers?
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Re: curlftpfs for win?

Mounting things as a folder in Windows is barely supported. It's implemented at a per filesystem level, and out of the few filesystems Windows supports, only NTFS supports this. A far more Windows like way of doing this is to mount the ftp server as a drive, and Windows supports that out of the box, there is also WebDrive,FTPDrive and maybe others.

As for sshfs, there is a Windows version, http://dokan-dev.net/en/

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I just use FileZilla in both Linux and Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I use Filezilla, but now I'm going to look at curlftpfs, sounds like a great addition.

Beans

Other options for connecting to Unix boxes via ssh:

One of the utilities that comes with PUTTY is
    PSCP (Putty Secure Copy).
    Although it is command-line it works. Might be good for a batch file from time to time. An option in PSCP is to use a PUTTY session (in which many other options can be saved.

Another free utility is WinSCP. This provides a windows GUI for accessing the entire Unix file system and does not require any drivers (it is a very in-obtrusive, stand-alone program). There are two modes of display and I find that one mode works faster than the other on slower computers.

WinSCP.net
    Last edited by WyoGuy; January 3rd, 2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: (javascript was disabled)