Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sony vpcs111fm/s

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

sony vpcs111fm/s

I saw this laptop at Bestbuy, it has an nVidia card and some pretty nice specs for the price. Has anyone tried it yet? Wondering if it will work well with Ubuntu? I'm real close to buying a new laptop.

Thanks,
    Michael

Beans

Re: sony vpcs111fm/s

I am sorry for not answering your question, but I went to the store yesterday and saw that PC with Intel HD Graphics. If you saw it with nVidia, I will be (very) pleasantly surprised. I think that it will run ubuntu very well but that is only a guess.

Thanks,
    Elliot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nope, its nVidia. Check out the Sony site under the CW series.

Beans

I have the VPC-S111FM/S from Best Buy and it has the newest Intel HD Graphics (on the same physical chip as the CPU). It does not have an NVidia GPU. The Vaio CW series does have NVidia GPUs on most models, but the Vaio CW is not the Vaio S1. They are indeed separate models.

The Vaio S111FM/S is a nice notebook and I have been very impressed with the performance of the CPU as well as the integrated GPU. I have not yet tried loading Ubuntu on mine, but will do so very soon. It should run very nicely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Dammit...mixed up my notes on those two wile I was at best buy, I do apologize. My face is quite red. So how about the cw series? Anyone tried that one? Also, MrBlippy; you should do it soon and let me know how the 3d support is. Would the push to TV work? I really like the design of the vps111fm/s but am concerned about the integrated chip.

thanks for the responces.

Beans

No problem! Just wanted to clarify the GPU specs on the S1 series. To be completely honest with you, I have yet to get the Push2TV working even in Windows. I have the latest (and recommended) drivers and while I can see the Netgear P2TV box, I receive a connection error every time I try to initiate the connection. I can live without Push2TV, as it really was only an added perk when I was considering this Vaio S111FM/S. Given that the Windows support for Push2TV sucks right now, I would say it is a safe bet it is not Ubuntu friendly quite yet.

I also considered the new Vaio CW notebooks Best Buy just brought out, but I ultimately wanted something lighter to carry around than the 5+ lbs CW. Given the specs on the CW, though, I don't think you would go wrong with it. The 1600x900 pixel screen on the CW was hard to pass up--I do wish the S111FM/S had that resolution.

I think I still have my Ubuntu USB key loaded up, so let me fire it up and check it out now. I will try to report back this evening on the 3D support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thank you sir.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just picked up this glorious machine and I really love it. Good size, feels solid, illuminated keys = awesome, and it's just comfy. The only thing I would change is the GPU, but to be honesty I've played around with it and haven't really found anything it can't handle. As far as IntelGMAs go, this one is pretty great.

Still haven't installed Ubuntu yet, but I think I will in the next few days. I wanted to wait a little while so it would be better supported, but I might as well take the plunge. I'll post back when I do and mention what works and what doesn't.

EDIT: Yeah, the Push2TV support is sporadic, at best. A little disappointing for an out-of-the-box experience. It really should work perfect since they come together when you buy them. When it does work, it holds the connection well and works perfect, however.
    Information can't be stolen. The whole system to handle "ownership" is obsolete. In a world where you can copy information, leaving the original intact, and wind up with the perfect copy, the debate over ownership is over.

Beans

I picked up one as well. Put Lucid A2 on it. I created a wiki as I work through the issues,

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestin...VaioVPC-S111FM

Be interested to see what others are getting to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by jfrorie View Post
    I picked up one as well. Put Lucid A2 on it. I created a wiki as I work through the issues,

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestin...VaioVPC-S111FM

Be interested to see what others are getting to work.
    nice work, man! I'll definitely help contribute to the wiki.

EDIT: how did you run the tests under Karmic? It doesn't seem to have video driver support and I couldn't even get it running off the live cd
    Last edited by Limitlesschannels; February 23rd, 2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added question.
    Information can't be stolen. The whole system to handle "ownership" is obsolete. In a world where you can copy information, leaving the original intact, and wind up with the perfect copy, the debate over ownership is over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast