Thread: thoughts about root at recovery.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

thoughts about root at recovery.

Hi all.
    I was just thinking how easy it is to drop to root, all I have to do is to start (or restart) my computer and boot to recovery. Is there way to protect me and my data from this?

I could use passwd root to set a password for root but then root would be able to login. There are some distros that let root be able to login, but I prefer if it wern't possible.

or I could set a password for grub, still, thats kind of annoying solution for a simple thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: thoughts about root at recovery.

Physical Access = Root Access

Short of locking your computer in a room and guarding it I don't think there's any way to eliminate the possibility of someone else with physical access and sufficient knowledge from "administering" your system for you.

Using disk encryption will protect your data at least. But as I don't think you can encrypt your /boot with LUKS-dmcrypt a local attacker could replace your kernel image with something else (maybe network boot from somewhere else and still use your machine as they please).

Beans

Recovery mode is a Feature, not a Bug.

Being able to recover your system is a great feature, trust me, you'll be glad it exists someday.

You are making an incorrect assumption (in my opinion): Your computer would be safe from a hacker with physical access, if you disable recovery mode.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Moved to recurring discussions.

This topic comes up often and as adam814 indicated, restricting physical access is essential for security.

As an example, this post is 12 hours old:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...25&postcount=7
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thank you all for your answers.

I know it's a feature, and I've already used recovery many times. I just thought at least I could password protect it. It doesn't matter that much as I'm the only one with physical access at the moment. It was just a thought.

Beans
    Hidden!

Set a root password, then you can protect it, it will ask you for a root password if you boot into FS mode after setting one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Techsnap View Post
    Set a root password, then you can protect it, it will ask you for a root password if you boot into FS mode after setting one.
    boot livecd
    start terminal
    sudo su
    mkdir /tmpmount
    mount sda1 /tmpmount
    <random malicious command> /tmpmount
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Techsnap View Post
    Append init=/bin/bash to kernel boot line in GRUB config. Doesn't even require a LiveCD.

Beans
    Hidden!

boot livecd
    start terminal
    sudo su
    mkdir /tmpmount
    mount sda1 /tmpmount
    <random malicious command> /tmpmount
    Look, a lot of people would have password protected their BIOS where applicable also it's more likely someone could boot into the FS than boot a live CD. To secure the installed distro the best thing to do is set a root password, I can't understand the objection to setting root passwords on Ubuntu because it's flawed completely flawed!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think it's great.

Mac OS X also has a recovery mode (hold down Cmd-S during bootup) that allows you root access.

Over the holidays, I helped my in-laws reset a forgotten password on a Windows 7 computer by booting up a Ubuntu live CD.

Permissions separations are best for protecting against compromise from outside (networked/online) sources. If you don't trust the people who have physical access to your machine, block them from having physical access.