View Poll Results: Ubuntu+CNR good or bad?

Voters
428. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is a great idea and I support it.

200 46.73%
  • This is a bad idea and I want no part of it.

86 20.09%
  • I will be willing to use it to aquire legal codecs.

109 25.47%
  • I will not ever use it for any reason

114 26.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 50 of 86 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Linspire Offer CNR for Ubuntu Users?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Should Linspire Offer CNR for Ubuntu Users?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I noticed your careful use of the word allowed. Nobody said Linspire doesn't allow the addition of users. It does, however, default to a root account, thus encouraging people to run as root.
    Not sure what you mean by default? During the install you're running as root, as you need to be doing so to add users.

It goes like this...

1. Put in install CD.
    2. Linspire has you create an Admin password then installs the OS files.
    3. Linspire then reboots and brings up a "first run Wizard" where you set up your users and other options (the screen shot you have there).
    4. Linspire then restarts and asks you how you want to login, as Admin or User.

Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter
    I came to realize just how misguided all the anti-Linspire FUD is, and can appreciate the contribution you and yours are making to the F/OSS community. =)

Kevin, I tip my hat to you sir on a job well done I have nothing but respect for you, for Linspire and its market niche, and for all the work it does in helping to garner linux mainstream acceptance in that niche.DM
    Thank you. It's truly appreciated.

You should come down our way in April for the Desktop Linux Summit and I'll let you buy me a Sprite.

Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'd love to see cnr in ubuntu for the non-free stuff that linspire supports... as long as it didnt mean it made my general apt stuff break. If it can sit alongside apt - so I can get stuff as usual from the ubuntu repos and then get the other proprietary stuff from cnr ... then it'd be great... but - thing is - I can see problems with using both... as I'm guessing cnr doesnt use dpkg - which could cause some problems with files being overwritten by apt or cnr which belong to the other.
    Regards,
    Mez
    Backports Lead & MOTU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by dolson
    After much consideration, and reading every post in this thread since the last one I made, I want to change my original knee-jerk votes on the poll.

I support Linspire offering value-added services OUTSIDE of Ubuntu's software repositories.

Think about it - Kevin coulda just did it and not consulted anyone first, and then more people would be screaming about it. It's with a lot of class and patience that he is still here, answering threads. This is taking up a lot of his time, I know because I spent over an hour myself just now reading posts as fast as I can.

I think that we owe him respect for asking, discussing, putting thoughts out there before implementation. And for understanding that people like myself will NOT want CNR, period, but having a much better understanding of the OEM and retail markets than most Linux groups these days do.

I am not opposed to seeing Dell or HP or IBM or Walmart selling Ubuntu + CNR for a user-friendly OOTB experience. I just wish that it wasn't a pay-as-you-go service, but this is the business model of the future, I guess.

Anyhow, so my vote is that I won't use it and don't want it in Ubuntu, but I think Linspire has nothing to lose by offering it as a 100% independant service that new users and lazy users will be willing to pay for. Although, I think the details should be worked out more, as there already are NVIDIA drivers and the like in Ubuntu's repos, so focus only on things that we can't already get.

Kevin, ignore the haters. And I would love to see Ubuntu+CNR PCs sitting on store shelves or offered online from the big players. I would buy a PC with Ubuntu+CNR myself (although I would wipe it down and reinstall from scratch).
    Thank you! I'm glad my time here was helpful to you. It has, as always, been helpful for me as well. Hopefully we've all learned. I honestly believe by working together bigger and better things can happen.

I have thousands of posts on the Linspire forums (I hope they don't feel neglected as I've been here with my new friends =), and I do it because I learn more from our users than they ever learn from me.

Thanks again for your kind words. They are much appreciated.

Kevin

Beans

Edited. I have had some second thoughts after reading again all the posts here. And especially linking to other posts concerning Linspire activity of late.

I believe in its self Linspire is a good product.I have sold it,installed it and it works. And customers have been happy with it.

As for the offer being made here hmmm its an option worthy of consideration by Canonical. As for the motives behind the offer at this point in time I have reservations.
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; March 4th, 2006 at 02:44 AM.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hello Kevin,

Great to see a CEO of a company come out and talk to users. Most dont do that.

Before reading your posts I was downright against CNR but now I realized how it works for OSS, and all that and Bravo to you. I would use Linspire but apt, and my mouse didnt work right.

Adam

Beans
    Hidden!

There is one thing that I *really* dont understand......

What draws the majority of people to Open Source software (IMHO) is that its free as in beer, and free as in freedom.

Is the whole Open Source movement really able to include propriatry software into the mix without putting people off?

I'm a good example of this, if i'm going to pay for my software, i'd rather buy Microsoft/Apple software. I am here because of Ubuntu's ideology, and the fact that its free, there is no cost to me giving Linux a try, if I dont like it, then i'ts cost me nothing?

What i'm getting at is, the only thing noobs really know for sure about Linux is that it, and its software is free. If they come here and start seeing subscription add-ons, arnt they (wrongly) going to think, this is just cheaper than MS/Apple, not free? If i'm going to pay for something i'd rather pay for something I KNOW will suit my needs, and has the broadest compatability?

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by *John*

What draws the majority of people to Open Source software (IMHO) is that its free as in beer, and free as in freedom.

Is the whole Open Source movement really able to include propriatry software into the mix without putting people off?

I'm a good example of this, if i'm going to pay for my software, i'd rather buy Microsoft/Apple software. I am here because of Ubuntu's ideology, and the fact that its free, there is no cost to me giving Linux a try, if I dont like it, then i'ts cost me nothing?

What i'm getting at is, the only thing noobs really know for sure about Linux is that it, and its software is free. If they come here and start seeing subscription add-ons, arnt they (wrongly) going to think, this is just cheaper than MS/Apple, not free? If i'm going to pay for something i'd rather pay for something I KNOW will suit my needs, and has the broadest compatability?

John

Exactly what I'm thinking.

I digg that
    Linux user #424458

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by *John*

John

Here is a nice link for everyone to cetch up on there knowledge of FREE* software.
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit
    Here is a nice link for everyone to cetch up on there knowledge of FREE* software.
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
    I dont think you understood my post.......

What i'm getting at is that Linux, and Open Source software is not yet established itself (enough for the home user) to the point that subscription based services such as this will have any value at all on its current or future development.

Actually, in my opinion, (as I tried to explain earlier) it will do more harm than good! It will put people off! (IMHO)

A good example is (No offence Kevin) is Linspire's poor market share. Thats why Kevin is here trying to make money off the back of Ubuntu.

- John

Page 50 of 86 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast