View Poll Results: Ubuntu+CNR good or bad?

Voters
428. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is a great idea and I support it.

200 46.73%
  • This is a bad idea and I want no part of it.

86 20.09%
  • I will be willing to use it to aquire legal codecs.

109 25.47%
  • I will not ever use it for any reason

114 26.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Linspire Offer CNR for Ubuntu Users?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu+CNR

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Carmony
    Looks like someone beat me to the punch! By about 2 minutes!

I hope everyone will read the post I made about CNR before answering and answer the poll I posted.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Sorry Kevin. If the mods want they can just merge them with your post being the lead post and your poll. I missed the part where you were going to start a thread on the issue.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans

Re: Should Linspire Offer CNR for Ubuntu Users?

First, I think all your reasoning makes sense. You should absolutely provide CNR to Ubuntu because, as you like to say choice is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Carmony
    1. Linspire supports dozens of propriatary applications, drivers and codecs that you may want to have access to. MP3, DVD, Real Audio, Windows Media, Quick Time, Java, Flash, nVidia, ATI, Bitstream fonts, and so on. For example, right out of the box, Linspire users have access to all these different file types. With CNR, you could, with one click, deliver all this capability to your Ubuntu computer.
    This sounds great. Right now we have noone to turn to if we really wanted to pay for those patents. With CNR I suppose Ubuntu would have a legal & valid way to do that. Not in my interest personally though, and I live in EU all the same also.
    It's interesting if this could convey a point to the users though -- what proprietary formats actually mean! You have to pay to use it! Many here think this is absurd and if we can get this into the minds of regular users (via this backdoor), it would be a philosophical win.

And, because it interests me; what is the architecture support stance? Linspire is x86-only and that makes sense for you; debian, however supports lots of architectures so you have the backend in place.
    I'm a PPC user (but will probably not be after this generation of computers is replaced), so will PPC be supported? I don't expect it to be, as you probably have to release something that you don't really want to support, and double the number of Ubuntu warehouses..

I write Kupfer, a smart, quick launcher.
    Recommended apps and tools: Vim!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I like what you have said, as a recent ******* convert, I have been free from ******* since December.
    I have learned a lot since then, and I realize I have a long ways to go.

Your suggestion really appeals to me, in fact it is downright lustfully tempting me. But then I realized something, it would bring me back to where I was before coming here to Ubuntu.

What I mean is this, I have had to learn to use my brain in Linux, not just use the OS. I have been more stimulated these last 3 months then I ever have been since 1995. But I really do see a need for something like this for users who just want to use their computers.

And what you are proposing is after all a choice, not a mandate. And in the end it is all about choices. And if there is something out there that will help people switch from ******* I am all for that, by all means, get the masses to wake up.

The only thing I can really offer you in terms of a suggestions is tiered service. I would be willing to pay $10.00 for say half a year, to see if I would really use it or not, or liked it for that matter. Because to be honest with you, $20.00 for a whole year, for something I might not even use because apt-get works just fine, just does not make sense, for me that is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod
    Technical question: I understand Ubuntu has many deltas from the main debian line. How much work would be required to ensure that CNR for Ubuntu delivers all of the proper Ubuntu-patched packages? Would it just be a case of sync-ing the CNR servers with Ubuntu's, or would it be more complex?

Also, where would the proceeds go to? If it's back into the community (paying developers; offering bounties; maybe, if the issue of micropayments could be sorted, direct to the the developers of the most-downloaded apps!; etc), then I think this would be a good thing to have!
    We'd work with Mark and Ubuntu to make sure we're mirroring the pools properly so this doesn't happen. Again, we solved this problem for Linspire users a long time ago, and CNR supports multiple warehouses. The Warehouse for Ubuntu users would be different than the one for Linspire users, so we don't break anything. In fact, each version of Ubuntu would have its own Warehouse.

Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Thumbs down Re: Should Linspire Offer CNR for Ubuntu Users?

I personnaly think is good because is always nice to have a choice .

But if i consider use it it would be only for commercial software as Cedega , Games , etc... when it comes to other stuff i prefer apt-get.

About proprietary formats i would never pay for them , because :

A) I prefer the free ones , if i´m forced to use the closed ones against my will i should not have to pay for them.

B ) If they are free as in free beer at wintendo , they should also be for nix*.
    There is only one god, and Ubuntu is its prophet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I think Ive pretty much made my stance on this kind of move aware. But, again, goes back to informing the user and on what level we inform the user. If the user knows that they have a choice , It cant be harmful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus
    I concur with StormyEyes. For most users on these forums who are used to apt-get (or at least Synaptic), CNR seems rather pointless. But if you're offering repos with commercial software that won't break an ubuntu install, suddenly things become interesting.
    Correct.

Again, things you'd get with CNR:

- GUI interface, no clickety clack at the command line.

- One-click install.

- Nearly 100% success rate. CNR has been used millions of times, and today we have a better than 98% success rate, with the failures usually being related to modem users who lose connection, and even then, CNR is smart enough to simply work when it's reconnected. We have spent four years perfecting CNR. Breaking things, messed up dependencies, and so on are all the things we've spent years making sure users never experience. CNR will invisibly and automatically fix any wedges, and so on.

- Improved applications. Linspire spends a lot of time cleaning up the most popular applications in the Warehouse. We push all our changes back, but sometimes that takes time before the fixes hit the mainstream. For example, my version of Moz/FF corrects my spelling as I type this forum post. That is an enhancement we made to FF and given back, but who knows when it will hit the mainstream. Again, we test and make sure the changes don't break anything, and you always have access to the original way if you prefer that. If you see GIMP running on a computer that installed it with CNR, you see a much improved GIMP. and so on.

- Access to legal codecs, drivers and 3rd party proprietary software.

- Aisles for one-click of groups of software.

- Software management so that you can, for example, install Ubuntu on a brand new computer, and with one click, it adds all the software that CNR knows YOU like. So, with one click you turn a new computer into your dream development system, or dream gaming computer, etc. CNR is licensed to you as a user, so you can use it on all your computers without paying additional fees.

- Update notification and one-click updating of ALL software, drivers, and applications on your computer.

- A friendly Warehouse with nice screenshots, user reviews, charts, and so on.

We know it's not for everyone, no service is, but it may be right for some of you or your friends?

Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by engla
    And, because it interests me; what is the architecture support stance? Linspire is x86-only and that makes sense for you; debian, however supports lots of architectures so you have the backend in place.
    I'm a PPC user (but will probably not be after this generation of computers is replaced), so will PPC be supported? I don't expect it to be, as you probably have to release something that you don't really want to support, and double the number of Ubuntu warehouses..
    We'd naturally start with x86 and see how it goes. If there were demand, we'd expand out.

Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Nothing wrong with extra choices

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus
    I concur with StormyEyes. For most users on these forums who are used to apt-get (or at least Synaptic), CNR seems rather pointless. But if you're offering repos with commercial software that won't break an ubuntu install, suddenly things become interesting.
    Exactly. I can install games like NWN or apps like StarOffice manually, but doing so is a pain and involves at least half an hour of RTFM and tinkering. My wife would definitely find CNR useful if it could be used to install commercial games without having to have me tie up her machine for half an hour to make sure everything works correctly.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast