Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu pre-installed - but the price!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Ubuntu pre-installed - but the price!!!

Hiya,

My dad just bought a new laptop in the UK. It cost 400 pounds. That's about $950AUD. It was a Toshiba Satellite Pro L20. I've been trying to get him onto Ubuntu for a while, so I did a quick search for the name of the laptop and Ubuntu in Google.

I came up with an Australian company (probably coz I'm in Australia and I was using google.com.au) that sold the same laptop, however offered to sell it with Ubuntu instead of Windows. However...

I was horrified to see that the standard price with Windows XP Home is $1609. Yes, expensive compared but that's not the part that horrified me. Windows is paid for software. It's not free, and the cost of it is included in the cost of the laptop.

So how come it costs an EXTRA $49 to have Ubuntu instead of Windows?!?!?!

The link is here. Unfortunatley, while companies are still ripping people off like this, it will be hard to get Linux into the main stream.

I felt I had to mention this, and the community chat seemd like the best place to vent my frustration.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu pre-installed - but the price!!!

You chose with your wallet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would think that Windows is preinstalled when they get the Laptops and if someone wants Ubuntu they have to remove windows and install Ubuntu along with configuration.

Just guessing, but it seems like a resonable explanation.
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm
    I would think that Windows is preinstalled when they get the Laptops and if someone wants Ubuntu they have to remove windows and install Ubuntu along with configuration..
    I think you hit the nail on the head with that one!

While its fairly easy for someone selling computers to either custom build desktops, or buy them as no-OS systems --> it isn't so easy to lay your hands on no-OS laptops! So I think Kimm has guessed correctly, you are paying for someone else to buy a standard, off-the-shelf laptop (complete with Windows), and to have them do the Linux install for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

That's the problem when you check the info on the net without talking to the guys directly.

You can always ask for a computer wihtout any OS installed at first. Circuit city does that in Quebec anyway but they don't offer it up front. The thing is that you have to wait until the shop receives the computer your ordered and then you can ask them to install linux for you (which would cost something for the tech guys). A friend of mine did that but it was to install a hacked version of windows *sigh*
    Linux user #424458

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm
    I would think that Windows is preinstalled when they get the Laptops and if someone wants Ubuntu they have to remove windows and install Ubuntu along with configuration.

Just guessing, but it seems like a resonable explanation.
    Yes, i think so.

But there was one guy that had his money back cause he didnt want windows, so the company gave him the windows price back.

Anyone have the link?

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

get an asus or a sager from another reseller instead of a toshiba, problem solved.
    Last edited by drizek; March 5th, 2006 at 05:51 PM.
    Help Ubuntu rise to the top! Join the Ubuntu Folding@Home Team

Apps loading too slowly? Prelink

Beans
    Hidden!

its called the microsoft tax.

Beans

Build it yourself and let MSFT stick the tax where the doesn't shine.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans

Whitebooks for the win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast