Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to be able to change my hostname on IRC

Beans

I want to be able to change my hostname on IRC

I've googled for BNCs, Vhosts, all that yadda... I don't really understand it. Is there anyway to easily change my hostname on IRC?

(Using Xchat on Windows)
    Are you a trumpet player?
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: I want to be able to change my hostname on IRC

No, not really (as far as I know). You need to get a cloak generally, and that's network dependent. You should probably ask in the support channel for whatever network you're on.
    I am currently unable to come up with a witty statement to put in my signature. Please check back later.

Beans

I registered a hostname under DynDNS, now I just have to find a bouncer for windows that actually works and isn't insanely confusing.

Thanks for the advice, but I'd rather have it changed then cloaked. My network also doesn't support vhosts.
    'On vacation for the week. In Yosemite National Park. A sign on the road said, “Speeding kills bears.” And all I can think is, “Who let them drive in the first place?"' -Stephan Pastis

Beans

you could always just make a new one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You can also rent a shell host, they are cheap, about £3 per month for a basic IRC bouncer. I use ZNC, not sure if it work on windows.
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuman001 View Post
    you could always just make a new one.
    I don't understand. I am trying to make a new hostname.
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOK View Post
    You can also rent a shell host, they are cheap, about £3 per month for a basic IRC bouncer. I use ZNC, not sure if it work on windows.
    Is a shell host required? Does there happen to be any way to get a free one?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Your hostname is where you connection is coming from, you can only have a different one by proxying with a bouncer or shell account. I'm not aware of any free providers.

You do mean hostname, not user name, right?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Your hostname is where you connection is coming from, you can only have a different one by proxying with a bouncer or shell account. I'm not aware of any free providers.

You do mean hostname, not user name, right?
    Yes. For example, this is one I saw.

Person has connected (~Person@SHAM.WOW)

Something like that.. Just my own personal hostname like that SHAM.WOW one. Did he have to pay to do that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Master View Post
    Yes. For example, this is one I saw.

Person has connected (~Person@SHAM.WOW)

Something like that.. Just my own personal hostname like that SHAM.WOW one. Did he have to pay to do that?
    Depends, some IRC networks offer a Vhost service (free). If your ISP allows, you can sometimes set a reverse DNS, I doubt you can do this however. The other option is to rent a shell and use a bouncer. I don't know of any free services. Make sure if you do rent one, it allows you to set a custom hostname (rDNS).
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Beans

I found a free shell account hosting service on SDF. How do I set rDNS? And after that, how do I use a bouncer on it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast