Thread: Question regarding Wubi vs full installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question regarding Wubi vs full installation

Hi,

I've been enjoying my wubi-installed 9.10 for a while now, and I think it's time to do a 'proper' install, with proper partitions, etc..

Now, all my hardware devices (drives, sound, video, router, webcam, etc.) worked first-time with the wubi install, can I assume that the same will apply with a full install?

I'm worried that ******* may have 'helped' with the wubi/9.10 hardware set-up somehow, and things might not go as smoothly outside of wubi.

I don't know if this is the case or not, but I thought I should ask first!

Cheers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Question regarding Wubi vs full installation

I'm worried that ******* may have 'helped' with the wubi/9.10 hardware set-up somehow,
    That is practically impossible.
    But I think the installation from CD is better than wubi.
    <><

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gabo.cr View Post

Yeah, I thought so, but no harm in asking, eh?

Full install coming shortly....

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quick question along the same lines, I would like to do the same, full install but as a dual boot and when I run my install disc in the demo mode and select the install icon (I'm installing Ubuntu 8.04 lts) I get the 3 options guided-resize/guided entire disk/manual I want to keep my Windows partition. Does the guided -resize just do a full install along side my Windows partition which was the primary partition.

It says exactly:
    Guided - resize SCS1 (0,0,0), partition #2 (sda) and use freed space. New partition size: /dev/sda2, 30% (207.7) - Ubuntu 8.04.3, 70% (490.8GB)

I'm assuming my Windows partition is the first 30% section and the ubuntu will just use the rest (70%) to create another partition. I don't want to erase my windows partition. Do I have all this correct?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gabo.cr View Post
    But I think the installation from CD is better than wubi.
    It is possible to install using Wubi from the CD. Wubi uses Windows, and it is impossible to use it without Windows.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quick question along the same lines, I would like to do the same, full install but as a dual boot and when I run my install disc in the demo mode and select the install icon (I'm installing Ubuntu 8.04 lts) I get the 3 options guided-resize/guided entire disk/manual I want to keep my Windows partition. Does the guided -resize just do a full install along side my Windows partition which was the primary partition.

It says exactly:
    Guided - resize SCS1 (0,0,0), partition #2 (sda) and use freed space. New partition size: /dev/sda2, 30% (207.7) - Ubuntu 8.04.3, 70% (490.8GB)

I'm assuming my Windows partition is the first 30% section and the ubuntu will just use the rest (70%) to create another partition. I don't want to erase my windows partition. Do I have all this correct?
    You should make a new thread with that question so more people can help you too.

Does the guided -resize just do a full install along side my Windows partition which was the primary partition.
    Yes it will, so after the installation you will see a screen where you can choose the OS to boot.
    <><