Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting from usb, What brands/models work best?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Booting from usb, What brands/models work best?

I know the that to put ubuntu on a usb stick, having more then a gig works best, so im going to have to go and buy a new thumb stick.

I have also heard that some usb drives work better then others, so my question is
    Which brand/model thumb drives have you been successful booting from?
    And which brands are a pain?

Also if you know, What is the best performing drive you have used?
    Last edited by miniyak; December 11th, 2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: word missing
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Booting from usb, What brands/models work best?

i have used only Kingston to boot and for me some drives have worked successfully while others failed, on different machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hmmm, I don't think I have ever even bothered with the performance of a thumb drive, I just use whatever I have available. ATM I have a bootable 1gb drive on my data recovery box it is pretty old. I would imagine that any recent drives this would be negligible. While writing it has occured to me that you might be asking on just popular brands I use mostly Crucial drives or whatever is cheap off Newegg.
    Nothing's Impossible..........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Im going to be using a thumb stick as the main drive on the hp tc4400 i just picked up for free, so performance matters in this case

the tablet was droped and the current hard drive is being labeled by ubuntu as having "many bad sectors"... so it will be time to replace it soon and i believe the drive is a sata with a specialized connector... regardless i figure a 16gb jump drive should be faster cheaper and better on gas...(power)

What i mainly want to know is, if i go to staples tomorrow which flash stick is going to offer me the most bang for my buck and if the model I pick will be bootable at all?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would just stay away from any thumb drives Like Sandisk that install non writable read only software in them like U3. There is a uninstaller for U3 offered by Sandisk but you need a Windows Operating System to run it.

That said I have also had real good results with Kingston Data Travelers. They are cheap and rugged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

good to know, I just bought a 16gb pny drive, i was considering the sandisc same price on sale at a different store because of the retractable plug but i think ill stick to the pny

before i open the package, does anyone have any gripes with pny?

to give an idea of what im going to use it in place of see here

the guy at staples was try to tell me that all the drive go about the same speed... because its usb 2.0... lol, he said that the speed differences would be negligible... even though in test i saw once i recall seeing something like 12mbs vs. 30mbs in some drives. Wish i could find that article. I also heard that 30 was pushing it at the time and that maybe every thing would get up to that speed, so the guy at staples might have been right

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Miniyak,

Hi, I have never heard of pny drives, but I have karmic on a sandisk 16 gig retractable and it runs great, no U3.

I also have an Integral 16 gig drive, which has run Jaunty, but now just use it for backup,
    also have 4 sandisk cruser 4 gig drives which have all had Linux on them running without a problem, the only trouble I have had is with LG Drives, I could install on them but they wouldnt run.

I am probably to late with this missive, but just incase your pny does'nt perform, consider Sandisk.

Good luck and have fun.

Jimmers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by miniyak View Post
    I know the that to put ubuntu on a usb stick, having more then a gig works best, so im going to have to go and buy a new thumb stick.

I have also heard that some usb drives work better then others, so my question is
    Which brand/model thumb drives have you been successful booting from?
    And which brands are a pain?

Also if you know, What is the best performing drive you have used?
    I have been using Rally2 (16 and 64 GB) by ocz. Compatible, very fast, very reliable.

/luigi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ok, heres the current status of my adventure

16gb pny "attache" live usb install using "USB start-up disc creator"
    on my hp tc4400- boots to the menu that prompts "try ubuntu without making changes to you computer" the freezes up at the black and white ubuntu logo
    on my s76 panp5- same deal

Same drive using unetbootin
    hp tc4400- boots to the main live menu again but this time it has different options

live
    live install
    check integrity
    ect.

when live install was selected, got past B&W logo to freeze at a blank screen
    same with plain old live
    check integrity- says no errors

Antec 2.5 hard drive enclosure w/ WD scorpio blue installed via live cd when the WD drive was in the tc4400
    Through usb on panp5= amazing, works just like real install
    Through eSata= dont know antec didn't include the cable *waves fist*

dose anyone know of a way to just do the full install on the pny flash drive with out any of the live stuff? (I dont think any one who boots from usb wants to do the live stuff...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Has any one else used the 16gb pny attache drive in particular?

currently it hasn't really worked out for me, was successful once out of maybe 11 trys or so.

the one time i got it right i wasn't to impressed ether, because i'm looking to do a persistent install. Guess I was just trying to prove it was possible at that point.

maybe its just a streak of bad luck?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast