Thread: [Hack] Removing the stupid Ctrl-D shortcut from gedit

Beans

[Hack] Removing the stupid Ctrl-D shortcut from gedit

Hi all,

Well, I had a lot of trouble getting rid of the stupid Ctrl-D keyboard shortcut in Gedit, which deletes a line. Why stupid? Because unlike a ton of other shortcuts in the menus in gedit, this one is NOT in the menus, and thus it cannot be edited via "Editable menu shortcut keys" (Gedit/KeyboardShortcuts)

So basically, the situation is as here:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://osdir.com/ml/gedit-list/2009-11/msg00005.html
    I was helping a buddy who is having the problem that he cannot change the shortcut for Delete Line, CTRL-D.

We have used a plugin for editing menu shortcuts, but this specifik shortcut does not seem to be a menu shortcut, and thus cannot be edited with the plugin.

Can somebody tell me how to change/remove the shortcut CTRL-D?

He is using Ubuntu 9.10
    In my case, I'd want Gedit/LineToolsPlugin which uses Ctrl-D for duplicate line. Of course, by default it will not work either.

Now, sure I can do:
    Code:
    apt-get source gedit
    cd gedit-2.26.1/
    nano ./gedit/gedit-view.c
    and comment out this section in gedit-view.c:
    Code:
    	/* gtk_binding_entry_add_signal (binding_set, 
    				      GDK_d, 
    				      GDK_CONTROL_MASK,
    				      "delete_from_cursor", 2,
    				      G_TYPE_ENUM, GTK_DELETE_PARAGRAPHS,
    				      G_TYPE_INT, 1); */
    but since I don't know the exact compilation line, in the end, the gedit I can build fails quite miserably; the steps I take are:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install intltool gedit-dev libgconf2-dev
    ./configure --disable-spell
    make
    and while running gedit built in that way, I get errors:
    Code:
    Error opening directory '/usr/local/lib/gedit-2/plugin-loaders': No such file or directory
    So I thought, maybe there is a way to make a binary hack, so I don't have to go through all this building - and it turns out, there is!

First, find out where is the binary, and change ownership to yourself
    Code:
    $ which gedit
    /usr/bin/gedit
    $ sudo chown myself\:myself /usr/bin/gedit
    Then open /usr/bin/gedit in a hex editor (I actually used Notepad++ under wine ), then search for the string "delete_from_cursor", and change it to "delete_from_cursXX"; and then save /usr/bin/gedit.

If now you run gedit under gdb, you will notice that when you press Ctrl-D, you get:
    Code:
    sys:1: GtkWarning: gtk_binding_entry_activate(): binding "GeditView::<Control>d": could not find signal "delete_from_cursXX" in the `GeditView' class ancestry
    and FINALLY - no more deletion of lines happen! In fact, if you have LineToolsPlugin installed, Ctrl-D starts duplicating lines instead - which finally makes gedit truly rock

Before I found this hack, I also tried using gconf-editor to set the /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_key_theme from Default to Emacs (Gconf-editor - Wsms - btw, those themes refer to files:
    Code:
    /usr/share/themes/Default/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc
    /usr/share/themes/Emacs/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc
    ); of course, while most key bindings changed, Ctrl-D was untouched.

Also, I tried the suggestion in Proper keyboard shortcuts in GTK+ − JNRowe: that is, I tried to make a new ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file, and place a key theme that would specifically override Ctrl-D:
    Code:
    $ gedit ~/.gtkrc-2.0

binding "gtk-skip-d"
    {
        bind "<ctrl>d" { "move-cursor" (logical-positions, 1, 0) }
    }

class "GtkEntry" binding "gtk-skip-d"
    class "GtkTextView" binding "gtk-skip-d"
    While this also didn't have any effect before the hack, after the hack this Ctrl-D (which moves a cursor) takes precedence in gedit, from the Ctrl-D functionality enforced by the LineToolsPlugin (the line duplication) - so I had to (re)move ~/.gtkrc-2.0 in order to get the proper functioning I wanted.

Well, hope this helps someone,

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: [Hack] Removing the stupid Ctrl-D shortcut from gedit

Thanks a million, I normally would use Notepad++ and was always deleting lines just from habit in gedit. I had recently installed the same plugin as you, and thought it would override the Ctrl+D.

Your little binary hack worked a charm. Took me 2 mins and works great

Cheers for the hard graft,
    Har

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks so much for this tip. It worked perfectly. I've been trying on and off for a week to sort this CTRL+D issue out. I'm also coming from notepad++ and using CTRL+D to duplicate a line was a feature I used constantly. That was the most nagging issue I had in making ubuntu my primary OS. I was still willing to deal with it for all of the advantages though.

Thanks again,
    -simmond78

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Much easier work around....

Unbind/Rebind Ctrl+D in Gedit
    The second example in page above has code to disable the default CTRL+D. Just make a new file [touch ~/gtkrc-2.0] and paste the code in.

This gedit plugin now works for duplicating lines using CTRL + D
    Gedit Advanced Editing Plugin

Awsome! at last I can duplicate lines in gedit! It was doing my head in!
    Last edited by emrys.r; December 2nd, 2010 at 03:45 PM.

Beans

Awesome the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 unbinding worked for me (and the Advance editing tool Ctrl + d short works as well).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by emrys.r View Post
    Much easier work around....

Unbind/Rebind Ctrl+D in Gedit
    The second example in page above has code to disable the default CTRL+D. Just make a new file [touch ~/gtkrc-2.0] and paste the code in.

This gedit plugin now works for duplicating lines using CTRL + D
    Gedit Advanced Editing Plugin

Awsome! at last I can duplicate lines in gedit! It was doing my head in!
    Thanks... Worked like a charm...
    How would I make that change for all users? Also would this change be wiped with the next version of Gedit?

Beans

Thanks,

Also, could someone make a plugin that incorporates duplication of selection? Like in notepad++.

I would do it myself, but am swamped with work right now.