Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connect to a Projector Using Ubuntu

Beans

Connect to a Projector Using Ubuntu

I have a Toshiba Satellite a215-S7437 that has an s-video connection that I use to connect to my tv. I am wondering how I can connect to my tv using that with Ubuntu 9.1. My computer has a ATI Radeon X1200 graphics card I believe.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Connect to a Projector Using Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dmchugh View Post
    I have a Toshiba Satellite a215-S7437 that has an s-video connection that I use to connect to my tv. I am wondering how I can connect to my tv using that with Ubuntu 9.1. My computer has a ATI Radeon X1200 graphics card I believe.
    Just plug the s-video cable into your computer on one end and your tv on the other. Then hit the FN key and another key on the top of your keyboard that has a picture of a monitor. That should do it.

Beans

I tried that but it did not work. Is there a way that I can manually do it myself through a certain program rather than a shortcut like that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dmchugh View Post
    I tried that but it did not work. Is there a way that I can manually do it myself through a certain program rather than a shortcut like that?
    You mean configure your display settings?

You can configure that here through:
    System > Administration > (videocard maker) ...

To configure display settings, click on "X Server Display Configuration" when you reach this window:

If you think this is a bit of a hassle to switch your monitor configurations, go here and click on the up arrow. It's an idea for the implementation of quicker display setting configurations in Ubuntu.

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23071/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If your problem is solved, please don't forget to come back and post the solution.
    Also, mark the thread "Solved" (Thread Tools > Mark This Thread as Solved).
    RIP Clara

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For ATI graphics it would be in Applications>Other>ATI Catalyst Control Center. There should also be an Administrative option too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can always use xrandr from the commandline. Just plug the svideo cable into both devices and issue the command
    Code:
    xrandr --prop
    to see the available display options.

Beans

I tried everything you guys have been telling me but it does not work. I downloaded the ATI Catalyst Control Center but it will not let me run it. It says i have no ATI drivers, which I do.

The other thing where you go to terminal and type in the command.
    This came up. I was hooked up to the tv through the s-video slot and nothing happened.

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 1280 x 1280
    VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    load_detection: 1 (0x00000001) range: (0,1)
    LVDS connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
    scaler: full
    1280x800 59.9*+
    1280x720 59.9
    1152x768 59.8
    1024x768 60.0 59.9
    800x600 60.3 59.9
    640x480 59.9 59.4

Beans
    Distro

For the drivers: it might be necessary to install the ATI drivers from the repos before upgrading to the catalyst drivers. At least that's what I've gleaned from the small amount of reading I've done. I don't own any ATI hardware, so YMMV.

The xrandr command wasn't supposed to do anything but provide some information, which it did.

Best I can tell, the driver you're using doesn't enable the s-video output. Work on first getting the latest Catalyst driver going.

Beans

How am I able to get the catalyst driver going? And this has worked with windows many times. It works as duplicate, extend, laptop monitor, and s-video only. I just do not know how to use it with ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Just because something works on Windows doesn't, by any stretch of the imagination, mean that it will work in another operating system.

Microsoft has the ability, through its monopoly, to apply leverage to hardware manufacturers so that their products are guaranteed to work on Windows. This can sometimes have the converse effect that those same manufacturers, because of market political alliances, license conflicts, etc., refuse to release working drivers (or source code) for other operating systems.

This whole fiasco often leads to drivers that have been reverse engineered or cobbled together. Sometimes they work flawlessly, sometimes not so much. Yours falls into the not so much category.

I already suggested how to get the official driver going. Because I don't own, and am not familiar with, this particular hardware, that's all the help I can give. You'll have to rely on google and the forums for the rest. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast