Thread: Not Sure What I did...

Beans

Unhappy Not Sure What I did...

Well, every thing was working fine or should I say awesome in Ubuntu 12.04 untill I messed it all up.

Screen resolution was fine, and everything was working the way it should. However, my Nvidia drivers were not working... I think.

I opened the Nvidia X server setting, and a window pops up promting me:
    You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.
    So I was just like okay, and ran 'nvidia-xconfig' as root. It did something then promted me to restart the X server. I googled how to restart the X server in Ubuntu 12.04 and I found this command
    sudo service lightdm restart
    Without reading anything on the page at all I ran the command (not as root).

This pretty took a dump on my Ubuntu. Ubuntu works and all still... Im just using a 640x480 resolution.

After I ran the command it exited the GUI and some words flashed on the screen... didn't really pay attention to what was there, but I can do it again if it helps you help me .

I restarted Ubuntu and a message came up right after singing in saying that it could not configure the monitor and you have to use this crappy resolution.

It would be a HUGE help if someone could lend me a hand. I am working on developing Android apps, and it would be great if I could have this thing up and running asap.

Thank you
    Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Not Sure What I did...

Have you looked in Additional Drivers? You may be able to remove the Nvidia driver and start again.

Also, when nvidia-config rewrote the xconfig file, it might have made a backup before doing so. You can have a look at that (in the same directory) and copy it back again (don't move it as then you won't have a backup).

You will find it has probably (re)written an xorg.conf file which can be found at:

Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Take a look with:

Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    If that file is blank, it's not your problem. If it isn't, Look in the directory (dir /etc/X11) for something like:

Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    If you find it, then:

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Control+X and 'y' to exit and save. Reboot.

The xorg.conf file is generally empty in newer releases but can be used to customise. If you had any tweaks in a custom xorg.conf file you'll need to retweak. If not, you can just make the file blank again by:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    ... and delete everything.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 25th, 2012 at 04:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Not Sure What I did...

If you run 'sudo nvidia-xconfig' you could probably just log out of X, and then log back in.

But if you run the following command it has to be run from a console, not from X:

Code:
    sudo service lightdm restart
    In other words do Ctrl+Alt+F1, run that command, then Alt+F7 to get back to X.

What nvidia card do you have? If you have an older card, you might need to use an older nvidia driver instead of nvidia-current.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers