Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Router recommendations?

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Router recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys!

The router we have now is a BEFSX41; I don't know if that model is famous for sucking, but I certainly don't like it much (mostly because port forwarding can get so confusing with it.)

WiFi is not a requirement. (I'm going to edit that into my original post.)
    that's an older model, but was still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    Linksys WRT610N
    That's a really good one. It's my main router. My WRT54GL is in bridged mode for both the PS3 and 360.

**oops, I lied, I have the 150N**
    Last edited by pwnst*r; January 17th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

WRT54GL is very good. Flashed mine with DD-Wrt. http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by n0dix View Post
    Don't buy any Netgear router, they are awful. I recommend you Lanpro routers, any of them.
    Must disagree (as long as we can keep it friendly!) I have a Netgear router, works well, easy to use.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have a linksys wrt54g2, it started dropping the connection so I flashed it with dd-wrt and now it's like I have a new router. I don't know if your router is compatable with dd-wrt, but, in my opinion, it would be worth checking out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
    Linksys WRT610N
    ^^This, if you need a high-performance router. If not, I suggest getting the Linksys WRT54G and installing DD-WRT on it. Still an amazing router, supported by the fact that Linksys has released more than 10 new versions of the exact same router! If it wasn't for my need for gigabit networking, I would still use this.
    Last edited by NCLI; January 17th, 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by blueturtl View Post
    You didn't specify if it needs to have WLAN, but I highly recommend the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. After you put DD-WRT on it (not hard) it is one mean machine!

On that note, if your Linksys isn't physically dead, you could give it one last chance with alternative firmware such as what I previously mentioned. Often the nature of the whole device will change when you change the software it runs.

If you're getting a new one anyway, there's little risk in "bricking" it.
    Right. that sounds more like a software issue and not so much hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    ^^This, if you need a high-performance router.
    I can't say it's a high performance router since it is known to over heat from poor hardware design.
    Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility! -Tyler Durden, Fight Club

Beans
    Hidden!

I use Netgear , it has good features
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

I got one of these at Walmart for like $40:

It works perfect, has a good interface for configuration, with all the goodies like port forwarding, IP reservation, and DynDNS support. Never given me any problems. My friend and my grandparents also have them and they also work perfect. Cheap and good. The actual model number of it is WGR614v9, but I'd assume any router similar to this model would work just as good.
    Last edited by doorknob60; January 17th, 2010 at 11:15 PM.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    I got one of these at Walmart for like $40:

It works perfect, has a good interface for configuration, with all the goodies like port forwarding, IP reservation, and DynDNS support. Never given me any problems. My friend and my grandparents also have them and they also work perfect. Cheap and good. The actual model number of it is WGR614v9, but I'd assume any router similar to this model would work just as good.

i think thats the same router i got free from virgin media, i didnt like it as it didnt seem to play well with torrents and xbox , had no qos settings.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast