Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinkpad T410 compatibility

Beans

Re: Thinkpad T410 compatibility

@tehfade:

Do you know if the display port works?

Beans

I ordered this same laptop, but with the "INTEL CENTRINO WIRELESS 1000" card instead of the thinkpad one, and with integrated graphics. Mine's not coming in for another 7 days , but I'll post problems / fixes as well.

My question for the OP is whether or not the battery life seems to suffer under Ubuntu. Have you had any experience with reduced batt life vs windows?

Beans

Glad some people are putting up their experiences. I'm also happy to hear that the 6300 card and NVS 3100m are working since I have both of those in my config. UPS says it will be here on Wednesday morning. Really looking forward to it!
    ThinkPad T410: Core i7@2.66Ghz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m 256Mb, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, BT, a/b/g/n wifi
    ThinkPad R61: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, Intel X3100, 3GB Ram, 160GB HDD, 6cell Battery, 14inch WXGA.

Beans

tehfade, how did you get the Nvidia graphics working? I just installed 9.10 and it works fine on the Live-CD, but I get no X11 when it starts off the freshly installed system and flickering? Did you experience the same problems?
    ThinkPad T410: Core i7@2.66Ghz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m 256Mb, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, BT, a/b/g/n wifi
    ThinkPad R61: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, Intel X3100, 3GB Ram, 160GB HDD, 6cell Battery, 14inch WXGA.

Beans

Alright, got the graphics working as well as wireless. I'm very happy with this machine, so far the only problem is that USB does not work on suspend from resume.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I got a T410 with Intel integrated graphics and I've been having a lot of trouble. When I put in a Ubuntu 9.10 install CD I get to the first menu, but selecting either "Try Ubuntu" or "Install Ubuntu" results in a solid black screen, though I hear the login music eventually if I go with "Try Ubuntu".

Lucid works a bit better in that I get to a dekstop, but opening any windows leads to an X freeze. Also, installing directly works but after installing I still have the problem with not being able to open any windows without X freezing. After using CTRL-ALT F1 to do a apt-get upgrade from a terminal things actually got worse, and X started freezing on the login screen. I'm going to try Lucid Xubuntu now and see if that works.

Beans

I'm also having a lot of trouble. I have the integrated graphics and I get a black screen either using "Try now" or "Install" using the x86-64 9.10 ubuntu install disk. Any tips? Does the "server"/non-graphical install disk work better?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

As this thread suggests Xubuntu works right out of the box. And since I was just planning on going to just go with using Awesome as my WM with some selected other stuff (nm-applet, some volume manager, some power manager) anyways this is really a satisfactory solution for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Xubuntu works great when I initially install it, but for some reason applying all the recommended updates does the same thing as with GNOME, if I try to log in after applying them X Freezes.

My recomendation: install Xubuntu but don't update for now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    Xubuntu works great when I initially install it, but for some reason applying all the recommended updates does the same thing as with GNOME, if I try to log in after applying them X Freezes.

My recomendation: install Xubuntu but don't update for now.
    You may want to install the latest xorg-intel-video driver from source, it has improved support for Intel GMA HD according to its Changelog.

It's available at: http://xorg.freedesktop.org//archive...2.10.0.tar.bz2

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast