Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinkpad T410 compatibility

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Thinkpad T410 compatibility

There won't be any support for instant switching of GPUs, although they can be switched through the BIOS. Hopefully we'll get some tools that allow us to switch GPUs with a simple xorg restart! I love the whole idea of switchable graphics, I was too wimpy to bet on shader-based video acceleration. Now we get to hedge our bets on VDPAU and possibly VA-API
    Last edited by peepingtom; January 22nd, 2010 at 01:34 PM.

Beans

I just ordered a new T410 with the nVidia dedicated graphics. I'll report back here how and if they work and give some insight into the trials and tribulations of getting them working if necessary. I imagine it will be here in about two weeks.

-dcast.
    ThinkPad T410: Core i7@2.66Ghz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m 256Mb, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, BT, a/b/g/n wifi
    ThinkPad R61: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, Intel X3100, 3GB Ram, 160GB HDD, 6cell Battery, 14inch WXGA.

Beans

I too have ordered a T410. Got the Core i7, switchable graphics and "Intel Ultimate-N 6300" wireless card.

Does anyone have any info on that card? I've Googled it and searched here, but found nothing.

Beans

Intel's product brief for both the 6200 and 6300 list "Ubuntu Linux" as a supported OS next to Windows.

http://www.intel.com/network/connect...0/techdocs.htm

(click on "Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 Product Brief" to get to the pdf document)

I don't know what that means, but I'd say it's a good indication it should work well.

If anything, it's cool that a big company like Intel is name-dropping Ubuntu, hopefully other hardware manuf. will follow suit.

I'm looking into buying a T410, so I look forward to hearing how it works with Ubuntu

Beans

I would also be curious to know if anyone has multitouch working on the trackpad. I'm guessing this is the same or similar trackpad as the t400s, and this post seems to suggest that it hasn't been working on that model.

Does anyone have two-finger scrolling working on the t410?

Beans

The specs of this computer look really nice..... I'm waiting for the T410s to be available.

Beans

Bump for an update. I am typing this on the new laptop. A new install of Xubuntu Karmic is fine so far except for the wireless. I spent WAY too long researching the problem, but it appears that the iwlagn driver wants to load ucode of version 3 or lower and version 4 is what is included. This can be fixed just by installing linux-backports-modules-karmic. If more info is required, search for iwl6000.

Beans

Is that wireless the default Thinkpad mini-pcie card, or did you upgrade it? I am hoping the intel centrino ones don't have the driver issues as I heard that they are better cards anyway.

Another thing, which graphics card did you get and have you tried video out either vga or display port? I'm sure you can clone the output for a projector pretty easy but I wonder how difficult configuring X for multi monitor support would be.

If you have the time updating http://www.thinkwiki.org might be a good idea. It doesn't look like there's anything on the t410 yet. Thanks for the update!

Beans

tehfade: That's good news, I'm considering buying this notebook. Did you get the discrete or the integrated graphics model? Do you know if VGA-out is working? This is important to me since I often have to present slides using a projector. I've heard some complaints about the fan being constantly on and loud, do you have this problem?
    Last edited by lgj; January 30th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.

Beans

The wireless card is the upgraded one, the "Ultimate-N 6300". I don't know the situation with the other two, but bear in mind that they are all different cards than what you got with a "centrino" in the past. You should check around for more info on them. I did update the wireless hardware compatibility wiki off this site for my card, and I might add it to thinkwiki if I have time.

I got the model with the discrete graphics because I wanted to do a little light gaming. I don't know about the VGA-out because I haven't tried it yet. The Nvidia card is recognized, and the "Enable Restricted Driver" icon shows up, but I haven't messed with the graphics at all yet. FWIW, I don't think it'll be too difficult to get working, because Nvidia stuff is pretty well supported.

The fan is dead quiet, not loud at all, so that's not going to bother you.

I've investigated some of the other features of the laptop. The fingerprint reader does NOT work. It is newer hardware that is not supported with thinkfinger. fprint might support it, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I don't really care about that though.

The hotkeys work fine, mostly. Suspend, lock screen, brightness, thinklight, trackpad/trackpoint and wireless on/off all work, and those are all I need. I'm sure that with a little bit of hackery, the two remaining ones will work fine.

Suspend-resume isn't working. It'll suspend fine, but freezes on resume. Haven't really looked into that yet either.

Multitouch isn't working.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast