Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant Hash Sum Mismatches on download caused by ISP?

Beans

Constant Hash Sum Mismatches on download caused by ISP?

I read somewhere that ISPs can cache files and that this will cause a hash sum mismatch when you try to open the file.

I have been trying to install scourge, and whether I go through the playdeb route, or compile by source route, in both cases the file is corrupt. With playdeb, the data folder has a hash sum mismatch. When I try and compile by source, the tarball can't extract (I'm thinking for the same reason).

If my ISP is causing this, how would I stop it, short of connecting to another network?

Beans

Re: Constant Hash Sum Mismatches on download caused by ISP?

The file you are trying to install is 100% legal so why on earth would your ISP try to mess with it? Whatever the problem you are having it is not being actively caused by your ISP for this type of activity.

LOL I was looking at my LAN to WAN usage charts for December in my main router and saw it was something like 250GB downloaded in December and I was praying my ISP doesn't send a hit squad (<-JOKE) so I doubt they care about a deb file of a legal video game.

Look for other reasons why the game won't install and download another copy and make sure you get it from the authors of the program ( Dont follow a link in a post -- Go to authors site and follow their link to DL it).

Good Luck.

Beans

The thing is, I have no idea why the download is always corrupted. I've downloaded from the official site, and playdeb, the latter of which seems very reputable to me.

I've had this problem before (near constant hash sum mismatches on a file I need), which makes me think it's the ISP, or my computer.

Beans

Bump with more information. I'm getting hash sum mismatches on other downloads now as well, this time downloads for the update manager.

Beans

24 hour bump

Beans
    Hidden!

hi

how are you connecting to the Internet
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

Ethernet.

Beans

Even more downloads are impossible for me now. So far every method I've tried to download these has failed (haven't tried torrenting, but I'm pretty sure there's no torrents of these files). DJL, playdeb, other debs, direct downloads of the source, etc etc, it all fails. These are rather large files though, so I think that's the common factor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

you should run a memory check. it should be an option in you ubuntu boot menu. let it run for a few hours (or overnight)

bad memory can cause file corruption.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    you should run a memory check. it should be an option in you ubuntu boot menu. let it run for a few hours (or overnight)

bad memory can cause file corruption.
    I don't think this is the problem. I was finally able to successfully download the file by switching to another network. I'll still do a memory test tonight though, just to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast