Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Login screen appears on wrong monitor

Hallo.
    I've had a thought that might be worth at try.
    Here is a bit out of my xprg.conf
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier     "Screen0"
    	Device         "Device0"
    	Monitor        "Monitor0"
    	Option         "TwinView" "1"
    	Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
    	Option         "metamodes" "CRT-0: nvidia-auto-select +1024+0, CRT-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+128"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth       24
    	EndSubSection
    As you can see, the monitor that is on CRT-0 is physically on the right (+1024+0), and the one on CRT-1 is on the left and a fraction higher up than the other one (+0+128 ). The monitor on CRT-0 is the primary monitor.

You could try swapping the connectors around, and changing the position in nvidia-settings. Your screens are the same resolution, according to your xorg.conf, even if one is physically bigger. Maybe there is something that says "if in doubt, use CRT-x" for the login screen. Given that your monitors use half of the width of the virtual screen each, the default mouse position must be right on the dividing line.

edit: out of interest, can the newer screen not do a higher resolution? Or can the video card not do higher than 1280x1024?
    Last edited by audiomick; January 19th, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Michael

Beans

I have the same problem. In my case my first monitor is to the left and my second monitor is to the right. Unfortunately my right monitor is a projector, which I have to turn on just to login. Incredibly annoying.

It seems though that the login screen will rarely, and what seems randomly, end up on the left monitor.

Beans

TheOnlyMrk, have you found a way to change where the mouse cursor starts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by VII View Post
    I have the same problem. In my case my first monitor is to the left and my second monitor is to the right. Unfortunately my right monitor is a projector, which I have to turn on just to login. Incredibly annoying.

It seems though that the login screen will rarely, and what seems randomly, end up on the left monitor.
    My only work around for it is while Ubuntu is booting I keep moving my mouse to the left of the screen (at the last point before the log in screen shows, even though you can't see the mouse pointer yet) and then the log in screen will show on the left monitor since the log in screen appears on the screen the mouse pointer is on.
    But I can't always do that since my routine is wake up, turn on first monitor, second monitor, sound system, then computer tower, then go get breakfast and stuff so by the time I'm back it's already waiting for me to log in, but at the same time it's not much an annoyance with that since by then both the monitors are warmed up and I can see the second screen to log in. If only I could afford those wonderful LED monitors and not be stuck with these old CRT's. But hey they keep my room warm. Lol.
    MB: MSI 890GXM-G65 - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core @ 3.4GHz - RAM: A-DATA 2GiB DDR3 1600 RAM, x2 = 4GiB @ 1333MHz - GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+, 512MiB GDDR3 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 500GiB @ 7200RPMs - 2 in RAID0

Beans

I'm having the same problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread closed. Please do not post in old threads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12