Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Lucid and OpenVZ and/or LXC ?

Beans

Re: Lucid and OpenVZ and/or LXC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Runner85sx View Post
    Edit: Howto for building and installing openvz on ubuntu lucid is ready.

Please visit: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Op...010.04%20Lucid
    I have just tried about ten times to build the kernel using these instructions. I get the kernel built, but it won't boot. Here's what happens:

mounting none on /dev failed : no such device
    ureadahead main process 416 terminated on signal 5

It then goes to the splash screen which immediately gets garbled and then the machine hangs.

Any ideas?

To do this build, I used a brand new install of 10.04 desktop 64 bit. The only thing ever done on that install was the kernel build.

Help! I am very frustrated!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by starfry View Post
    I have just tried about ten times to build the kernel using these instructions. I get the kernel built, but it won't boot. Here's what happens:

mounting none on /dev failed : no such device
    ureadahead main process 416 terminated on signal 5

It then goes to the splash screen which immediately gets garbled and then the machine hangs.

Any ideas?

To do this build, I used a brand new install of 10.04 desktop 64 bit. The only thing ever done on that install was the kernel build.

Help! I am very frustrated!!!
    I could not get the openvz kernel to build on Ubuntu either.

There is a .deb in the Debian repositories (sid), but I could not get that one working on either Debian or Ubuntu (I have not tried recently).

If you want to use OpenVZ, use either Proxmox or Centos.
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; August 15th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Ok, I am going to evaluate LXC making use of the info here and over on the Arch forums. I am going to evaluate under Ubuntu and Arch. OpenVZ was good but it's obviously time to move on...

Has anyone here had any luck getting X running in a container using the host's hardware?

I believe I need /dev/mem in the container to do this but I can not get it to work. If I include a cgroup allow for it the container doesn't start:

Code:
    lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:1   rwm # dev/mem
    If I can get this to work it will be a big win for me...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by starfry View Post
    Ok, I am going to evaluate LXC making use of the info here and over on the Arch forums. I am going to evaluate under Ubuntu and Arch. OpenVZ was good but it's obviously time to move on...

Has anyone here had any luck getting X running in a container using the host's hardware?

I believe I need /dev/mem in the container to do this but I can not get it to work. If I include a cgroup allow for it the container doesn't start:

Code:
    lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = c 1:1   rwm # dev/mem
    If I can get this to work it will be a big win for me...
    Some words of caution :

1. LXC is not exactly openvz , and depending on what functions you are wanting they may or may not be available in LXC.

2. LXC is is fairly rapid development. There is what I think of as the "core" - LXC the userspace tools and then there are a number of other projects.

The LXC tools, IMO, should be used from git rather then your package managers. If you are using an old version, as with all things, you will almost certainly be advised to upgrade to the git version.

The "other projects" are a bunch of scripts, varying in complexity, to manage LXC containers. Some of these are more feature rich then others, others seem so obtuse that by time you figure them out, you could have written them yourself.

3. Ubuntu does not run well as a guest.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

I've started a new thread here to solve a test-installation with LXC:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9967793
    Narcis Garcia

Beans

FYI for anyone interested in using OpenVZ under a 2.6.32 kernel:
    Proxmox have released v1.6 of their VE (Virtual Environment) see here (was actually released month and a half ago but I only just realised and thought I'd share). As has already been discussed in this thread ProxmoxVE is a Debian Lenny based hypervisor OS which includes KVM and OpenVZ support with a nifty WebUI. The 2.6.32 kernel is AFAIK a custom PVE kernel based on the 2.6.32 Debian Squeeze OVZ kernel, with KVM support too. PVE have had a 2.6.32 kernel for some time but up until v1.6 it has only had KVM support. IMO PVE is the best option by far if you want trouble free OVZ support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JedMeister View Post
    FYI for anyone interested in using OpenVZ under a 2.6.32 kernel:
    Proxmox have released v1.6 of their VE (Virtual Environment) see here (was actually released month and a half ago but I only just realised and thought I'd share). As has already been discussed in this thread ProxmoxVE is a Debian Lenny based hypervisor OS which includes KVM and OpenVZ support with a nifty WebUI. The 2.6.32 kernel is AFAIK a custom PVE kernel based on the 2.6.32 Debian Squeeze OVZ kernel, with KVM support too. PVE have had a 2.6.32 kernel for some time but up until v1.6 it has only had KVM support. IMO PVE is the best option by far if you want trouble free OVZ support.
    Proxmox is the best .deb baised solution is is well done.

However, Centos is the other option. The openvz project tends to develop on RPM systems first, Centos is also rock solid stable, and the 2.6.32 kernel was available as a rpm before a .deb (the source did not build on a debian system and has had to be modified into the current debian kernel .deb).

While the Proxmox web interface is very nice, there are other web interfaces.

As far as a guest, I advise a Debian guest. squeeze runs fine as an openvz container with minimal modifications.

I have been playing with Ubuntu 10.10, but I can not build a container with debootstrap on Proxmox. I built a 64 bit container on Ubuntu 10.10 and will try it out on Proxmox in the next few days.

OpenVZ on Ubuntu 10.04

Hello, I've followed Runner85sx guide docummented on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenVZ and I was successful using Ubuntu's kernel 2.6.32-24-generic-pae, but I have 2 questions about packages used to compile:

- I see that using 2.6.32-24 results in 2.6.32-22-ovz. Is convenient to build dependencies for 2.6.32-22 version or can be patched any 2.6.32-x update?

- Since Ubuntu 10.04 there is no "-server" specific kernel in Ubuntu repositories. Is convenient to build dependencies specifying "-server" termination or it can be used system's current?
    Narcis Garcia

Beans

Hello together.
    I will update the guide today or tomorrow.

Greets Runner

Thanks, I'm at the middle of an installation and this matters to me.

Ah, one question: Why is needed the package exim4?
    Last edited by narcisgarcia; October 16th, 2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: exim4
    Narcis Garcia

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast