Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and the Toshiba NB300 / NB305

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and the Toshiba NB300 / NB305

even with the password im having issues... the only way for me to adhoc is to leave it open and without security.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: Ubuntu and the Toshiba NB300 / NB305

Too bad I didn't find this thread before I ordered this Toshiba mini 300 series NB305-N310 today. I plan to format the disk and install ubuntu netbook remix.

I'm assuming I shut down instead of suspend or hibernate, and then the problem doesn't show up. Is that correct?

Beans

That's what I'm doing currently; shutting down when I'm done and powering back up when I need to use the netbook again. It is eating up a lot of my time waiting for it to boot back up from scratch each time, but it does work.

I tried all the different flag combinations for s2ram, but nothing reliably worked. I thought I found a combination that did work (S2RAM_OPTS="-f -p -s"), but that only worked once and I wasn't able to reproduce it again. I have not tried to compile and install tuxonice yet, since it seems like quite the pain in the butt to do so. Has anyone tried tuxonice with the Toshiba NB305 yet?

Cheers,
    Michael

Beans

I also find myself in this bind. I even thought about returning the netbook and getting another one that works with ubuntu/linux but the NB305 is just an all-around awesome netbook so I will keep it.

With that said, the suspend/sleep issue is pretty serious, and it does get rather hot in the bottom to be used in one's lap. The solution I've found for the heat problem is to scale the processor down to 1Ghz. That seems to make it cool down some.

Subscribed to thread in case a solution/patch is found for suspend/sleep wakeup problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

hanky,
    I also have the heating problem and it kinda worries me, does anybody know if that can become a big problem?

BTW, how did you reduce the cpu speed?

Beans

The lack of suspend and support for the hardware brightness keys is not limited to Ubuntu. I'm currently running openSUSE 11.2 on my NB305 and neither works for me. The closest I've gotten is to use s2ram -a 1. That at least turns the display back on, but the kernel never wakes up, and I'm left at a screen with a blinking cursor.

Beans

+1 with Toshiba NB305-N410BN-G. I installed 9.1 netbook remix (Canonical?) and _painfully_ updated over wireless! Brightness controls do not work, nor does suspend/hibernate. Will karmic wireless modules work on canonical? (before I break something)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is very annoying. I just bought an nb305 yesterday, only to discover it was hobbled in this way, and Toshiba have no interest in Linux, or fixing the problem.

I thought I had done my research properly. I'll try the beta later on and fingers crossed that it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I've tried both 10.04 beta 1 and beta 2 (via USB) and the same problem - cannot adjust screen brightness and fail to wake - exist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beta 2 didn't work either. I ended up taking it back to the shop (fortunately John Lewis are very understanding). It's a shame, the NB305 is a lovely netbook, but crippled by that flaw. I've now got to look at all the other netbooks, and compare them against the hardware compatibility list this time.

I'm considering the Acer Aspire One 532h, which has better battery life, and smaller, but a much less pleasant keyboard and trackpad (and poorer viewing angles on the screen). On the plus side, I had a look through the forums, and people seem to think it works much better in Linux.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast