Thread: Best practice for shared library

Beans

Best practice for shared library

Hi,

I'm trying to build my first packages using the source code written by someone else (and released under the GPL). The first one is a shared library (let's call it libfoo). The second one is a software that requires this shared library (let's call it bar).

With the default configure and make files, when I package libfoo, the library gets installed in /usr/lib/libfoo however, the other package (bar) that needs it looks for it in /usr/lib.

As I am really new to this I am wondering what the practices are. In particular, where should the shared library be stored (/usr/lib/libfoo or /usr/lib)? If it's in /usr/lib/libfoo, what's the best way to have a copy in /usr/lib? Is it best to symlink or to copy the file? Alternatively, is it something that I need to specify in the configure or make files?

I hope I'm being clear enough... please let me know if you need additional information to help solve this problem.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Best practice for shared library

i think policy is that libraries go in /usr/lib and support files for the library go in subdirectories like /usr/lib/foo. not 100% but see
    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-pol...haredlibs.html